Applebees and Chili's replacing waiters with Tablet PCs

Started by jimmy olsen, December 04, 2013, 09:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

I've never been a big fan of the self-check aisles (they took our jerbs), and I still remember the last time I used one.  It was many years ago and I was buying just one thing, a greeting card, maybe for Mother's Day.  I went through the self-check because I was in a hurry and there was no line there.  After scanning the barcode you had to put the item in the bag, there was a scale that could tell when you did so.  The card weighed so little that it didn't register no matter how many times or how hard I threw the stupid card at the scale.  I was so pissed I eventually just walked out without the card.  I have never used the self-check since. 

I will occasionally go through it now but I make the attendant there ring my stuff up and put my money in the machine.  I don't touch anything but my cart.

garbon

Quote from: sbr on December 11, 2013, 06:24:04 PM
I've never been a big fan of the self-check aisles (they took our jerbs), and I still remember the last time I used one.  It was many years ago and I was buying just one thing, a greeting card, maybe for Mother's Day.  I went through the self-check because I was in a hurry and there was no line there.  After scanning the barcode you had to put the item in the bag, there was a scale that could tell when you did so.  The card weighed so little that it didn't register no matter how many times or how hard I threw the stupid card at the scale.  I was so pissed I eventually just walked out without the card.  I have never used the self-check since. 

The last time I used one, there was now an option to tell it you wanted to skip bagging.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Quote from: garbon on December 11, 2013, 06:25:01 PM
Quote from: sbr on December 11, 2013, 06:24:04 PM

The last time I used one, there was now an option to tell it you wanted to skip bagging.

I figured they had worked that bug out but I still don't bother.  Automating service jobs may not reduce the total number of jobs out there but it is a line I have personally drawn in the sand, and I am willing to deal with the extra time and irritation that usually adds to my grocery shopping trips.

The Brain

The last couple of times I've been to the supermarket the cashier has been a cute female teenager (different ones).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.