Applebees and Chili's replacing waiters with Tablet PCs

Started by jimmy olsen, December 04, 2013, 09:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 10, 2013, 03:57:06 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 10, 2013, 03:54:52 PM
Few self check-out machines are cute teenagers.

Few cashiers are either these days.

In Sweden simple jobs are still for young people, and being Swedes they are not katmaiesque. :yeah:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

At my regular grocery store about 50% of the cashiers are bait.

Korea

I want my mother fucking points!

Berkut

If you would like more self checkout machines, have the state mandate that cashiers have to be paid a living wage.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on December 10, 2013, 05:06:49 PM
If you would like more self checkout machines, have the state mandate that cashiers have to be paid a living wage.

I want the state to mandate the checkout machines have to be paid a living wage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2013, 05:11:20 PM

I want the state to mandate the checkout machines have to be paid a living wage.

I am sure that they are regularly serviced.

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 10, 2013, 05:15:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2013, 05:11:20 PM

I am sure that they are regularly serviced.

I'll volunteer to ensure that cute, of age female cashiers are regularly serviced. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Korea

Yes, because stating the fact that I personally enjoy self check out machines means I do not support a living wage.  :huh:

garbon

Quote from: Korea on December 10, 2013, 05:32:15 PM

Yes, because stating the fact that I personally enjoy self check out machines means I do not support a living wage.  :huh:

Well it seems like it'd be hard to have a wage if you don't get hired as a machine has removed the need for your position.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2013, 06:31:49 PM

Well it seems like it'd be hard to have a wage if you don't get hired as a machine has removed the need for your position.

The grocery store I go to has the same number of ordinary cashiers as they had before self-checkout and scan-as-you-go, so the assumption you are making seems to be of limited truth if true at all.

What I don't see as much is people from the rest of the store getting called up as emergency cashiers because the lines are more than three deep (all their full-time employees are trained to run a register and they are added in some kind of order to the register bank when there are four people in any line).  They still seem to have the same number of people in each department, too.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on December 10, 2013, 06:41:14 PM

The grocery store I go to has the same number of ordinary cashiers as they had before self-checkout and scan-as-you-go, so the assumption you are making seems to be of limited truth if true at all.

What I don't see as much is people from the rest of the store getting called up as emergency cashiers because the lines are more than three deep (all their full-time employees are trained to run a register and they are added in some kind of order to the register bank when there are four people in any line).  They still seem to have the same number of people in each department, too.

Oh well I certainly have not seen that when I go to CVS (where self checkout is king). They now generally have only one actual cashier.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

CVS? The drug store? Only been one counter/line there as far back as I remember.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Korea

Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2013, 06:44:06 PM

Oh well I certainly have not seen that when I go to CVS (where self checkout is king). They now generally have only one actual cashier.

Almost all of them always only have one cashier and one manager on duty.

garbon

Quote from: Korea on December 10, 2013, 06:49:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2013, 06:44:06 PM

Almost all of them always only have one cashier and one manager on duty.

I don't recall that. In fact, until recently, there was one near me that had no self checkout and 3 cashier spots. It has since closed...and was actually the worst as the cashiers were so so so slow.

Local shop Duane Reade, without self checkout usually has up to 6 cashiers (though typically about 3 on the registers at any time).