News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU3 Modification Question

Started by alfred russel, June 02, 2009, 05:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Queequeg on June 12, 2009, 03:56:42 PM
You might want to consider upgrading to MMP in any case Alfred, its just a better experience on the whole.  There are Jews! 

I tried upgrading to MMP, it was just too slow.  Big slow down at the end of every month, while vanilla runs like a dream.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2009, 01:23:31 PM
I'm getting a little irritated in my Scotland game.  As mentioned I wanted to weaken England and keep her as "little England", with Ireland, Wales, and Cornwall all free (plus have her lose her continental possessions).  After about 3 wars I've largely done that.

But England keeps DOWing as soon as truces are up.  Not usually on me, but on the British minors I've guaranteed.  So I keep having to spank England, which is at significant cost to me.

Maybe I need to swallow up even more of the place (don't want to do that for RP purposes)?  Maybe I just need to force-vassalize (that could be tough though - so far no way to reach Meath due to the English Navy)?  Or maybe I should take provinces then sell to Wales/Cornwall?

You have to strip more provinces from them if you want them to be docile.  If you don't want the provinces yourself, then selling them to Wales and Cornwall is probably the way to go.  Note that since provinces other than their core provinces are probably in the wrong culture group for those countries, you may have to offer to sell the provinces to them at a price of 0 in order for them to accept.

Barrister

Quote from: dps on June 12, 2009, 06:12:44 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2009, 01:23:31 PM
I'm getting a little irritated in my Scotland game.  As mentioned I wanted to weaken England and keep her as "little England", with Ireland, Wales, and Cornwall all free (plus have her lose her continental possessions).  After about 3 wars I've largely done that.

But England keeps DOWing as soon as truces are up.  Not usually on me, but on the British minors I've guaranteed.  So I keep having to spank England, which is at significant cost to me.

Maybe I need to swallow up even more of the place (don't want to do that for RP purposes)?  Maybe I just need to force-vassalize (that could be tough though - so far no way to reach Meath due to the English Navy)?  Or maybe I should take provinces then sell to Wales/Cornwall?

You have to strip more provinces from them if you want them to be docile.  If you don't want the provinces yourself, then selling them to Wales and Cornwall is probably the way to go.  Note that since provinces other than their core provinces are probably in the wrong culture group for those countries, you may have to offer to sell the provinces to them at a price of 0 in order for them to accept.

Great - thanks for that.  Selling at a price of 0 is acceptable to me.  Hell, even knowing I'll probably have to march my own armies in to put down any revolts is worth it to me.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Gah - these fucking Englishmen - they just don't know when they're beat!

Everything in France is gone.  Meath is gone.  Wales is independent.  Cornwall is independent - and owns Sussex for good measure.  Scotland (me) owns Cumbria, Northumberland, and Yorkshire.

And yet still as soon as the truce's are up England DOWs someone.

I'm going to try one more round of simply taking away provinces.  If that doesn't work I'll just have to force-vassalize the suckers.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on June 13, 2009, 12:59:09 PM

Everything in France is gone.  Meath is gone.  Wales is independent.  Cornwall is independent - and owns Sussex for good measure.  Scotland (me) owns Cumbria, Northumberland, and Yorkshire.

I'm going to try one more round of simply taking away provinces.  If that doesn't work I'll just have to force-vassalize the suckers.

Why not just take them over and become GB?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

It is 1687 in my game, and I just destroyed Portugal in my first major war since defeating Scotland almost 200 years before. I wanted to vassalize them, but apparently I need a war score of 487%? I guess that isn't in the cards, which is too bad because I was thinking of pacifying Europe as my vassals.

I think I'm going to give up and start over, with a mod. The game is a little silly with the map looking more like 1850 than 1687. With the exception of the central US, all of North and South America is colonized, and more of the central US isn't because I've colonized a circle around it so no one else has access. Africa has largely been conquered. Southern India is European free, but Russia has moved into the North (Russia as a monster is apparently common if you use my start date, because Muscovy has united quite a bit of the region and the GH has desintegrated).

3 things I want to do:

1) Significantly slow down colonization in the New World and Africa (by making colonists appear 1/5 as often and removing native countries besides the aztecs and incas)
2) Keeping Russia from becoming so silly (I think removing Siber and replacing it with natives might do the trick)
3) Making the game more difficult (I'm going to see if I can make things so for every non-core province I own max stability is reduced by 1).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on June 13, 2009, 05:44:16 PM
I wanted to vassalize them, but apparently I need a war score of 487%? I guess that isn't in the cards

Which may be a problem for BB if he tries to force-vassalize England.  He probably needs to get them down to 5 or fewer provinces before he can get the war score needed to force-vassalize them down to 100 or less.  Depends in part on which provinces and how valuable they are.

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on June 13, 2009, 05:35:11 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 13, 2009, 12:59:09 PM

Why not just take them over and become GB?

A. It would be no different than if I had started as England then, and
B. I wanted to try playing a innovative, naval, free-trading state (which is the complete opposite of how I usually played EU2).   Already I'm way behind track with all these wars, but trying to conquer all of Britain would make it almost impossible.

And with another round of peeling provinces off (maybe one for me, and one each for my Cornish and Welsh allies) England should be down to 5-6 provinces and vassalizable...

HisMajestyBOB

How big is their army relative to yours?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

alfred russel

I've revised the game files so that in the future only the Aztecs, Inca, and Zapotec will be present in the new world and subsaharan africa. I also reduced all events and settings that give colonists so that they only give 1/5 as many.

Since I've been playing 1493, a major problem is that the Russians seem to be majorly overpowered. Russia has essentially been united by this period, so they are strong, but in the south and west only have very weak neighbors. I don't know how to keep them from going too far south (or even out of India), but I've replaced Siber, Kazakh, and Nogai with native tribes to slow them down. I've also replaced Sibir with very docile populations to try to ease them into going west. The major problem is that by crushing the Ottomans from the North, they make Europe a lot less interesting, so I want to avoid that.

We will see how this goes.

Barrister

:bleeding:

England is reduced to a rump state of 4 provinces - basically London, Kent, East Anglia and Oxfordshire.  Wales has as many provinces.

And yet still the English AI provokes a war against an Irish minor, despite me warning England, me guaranteeing the minor, and Wales being in an alliance with the minor.

Last war with England at 5 provinces I still couldn't vassalize.  Lets try this time around...

Alfred - I think you should run more games, or at least simulations, before you base your entire mod around weakening Russia.  Back in EU2 I remember testing mods by picking a random 3rd world minor, turning off all notifications, and letting the game run beginning to end hands-off, in order to test mods.  Try doing something like that perhaps.

Barrister

Wales snuck in and grabbed Oxfordshire - and only then could I vassalize a 3-province England. :bleeding:

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on June 14, 2009, 12:59:40 PM

Alfred - I think you should run more games, or at least simulations, before you base your entire mod around weakening Russia.  Back in EU2 I remember testing mods by picking a random 3rd world minor, turning off all notifications, and letting the game run beginning to end hands-off, in order to test mods.  Try doing something like that perhaps.

I gave it a try.

Colonization was much better, around 1630 only the coasts of the US were colonized and Africa was essentially untouched. By the end of the game the new world was almost filled, so things may still be a bit fast. The coasts of Africa were incompletely colonized with only the interior of South Africa touched. I think I'll turn the speed of new colonists down further from 1/5 to 1/7.

Russian colonization also went much better. Instead of hitting the pacific around 1680, they never reached the pacific, being a couple of provinces shy. Unfortunately, GB colonized there ahead of them anyway.

Europe was interesting. The Ottoman Empire was very strong, camped outside of Vienna. Austria was also strong, uniting most of Germany and a couple provinces off of France. Despite Russia holding most of Scandanavia in the mid 1600s, Denmark made a big comeback and took back most of Scandanavia as well as north Germany.

The horrible aspect of the game was that the Ottomans dominated Russia from the south and held Moscow for most of the game. I didn't weaken Russia that much, I just removed 3 of its weaker neighbors. I'll add one of them back in to see how things go.

alfred russel

One other thing that went totally awry: Manchu made it to the Caspian. :rolleyes:

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on June 15, 2009, 06:24:37 AM
Russian colonization also went much better. Instead of hitting the pacific around 1680, they never reached the pacific, being a couple of provinces shy. Unfortunately, GB colonized there ahead of them anyway.

Of course, historically, Russia had reached the Americas by 1730ish.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.