News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU3 Modification Question

Started by alfred russel, June 02, 2009, 05:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pishtaco

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 04, 2009, 11:14:28 AM
I installed the handdrawn map mod, it actually looks pretty nice.

:bleeding:

For the graphics card problem, I think the requirement they list for EU3 is pixelshader 2.0 support. As I understand it the trouble is that some intel cards claim to have this, but don't.

alfred russel

Quote from: Pishtaco on June 04, 2009, 01:51:05 PM

For the graphics card problem, I think the requirement they list for EU3 is pixelshader 2.0 support. As I understand it the trouble is that some intel cards claim to have this, but don't.

Two points about this:

1) They say Intel doesn't. I'm not saying they are wrong, but I don't believe it is that black and white considering Intel has been marketing those cards for years and is continuing to do so.

2) Paradox knows that a number of people have Intel Graphic Cards that are not going to work, but based on information from both Intel and Paradox believe that they will. Why not communicate this to buyers before they purchase the game? (ie, game is likely not compatible with Intel Video Cards x, y, and z).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on June 04, 2009, 02:08:34 PM
Quote from: Pishtaco on June 04, 2009, 01:51:05 PM

Two points about this:

1) They say Intel doesn't. I'm not saying they are wrong, but I don't believe it is that black and white considering Intel has been marketing those cards for years and is continuing to do so.

2) Paradox knows that a number of people have Intel Graphic Cards that are not going to work, but based on information from both Intel and Paradox believe that they will. Why not communicate this to buyers before they purchase the game? (ie, game is likely not compatible with Intel Video Cards x, y, and z).

No, If intel adverstises that it supports something that it doesn't, how can you make that the problem of a game developer.  Take your beef up with intel/store for selling you a lemon.  They have told you that you need pixelshader 2.0 - it is your responsibilty to figure out whether you actually have it before you blame them.

Its like you coming to the edge of a cliff and there is a sign that says "warning do not attempt to climb down without at least 100' of rope."  You look at your rope and it says "100" feet but in fact the manufacturer short changed you and only gave you 80' so now you cant make it to the bottom.

Instead of going after the rope company you are going after the owner of the cliff who didnt warn you that the rope manufacturer didnt do what they promised.

sbr

Quote from: alfred russel on June 04, 2009, 11:44:21 AM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 04, 2009, 11:14:28 AM

:lol:

I installed the handdrawn map mod, it actually looks pretty nice.

You are more driven than me--I wouldn't play without a political map. But reading the thread, some people seem to have actually been playing without any kind of map.

Against my better judgment, can I just go to Best Buy and pick up a video card tonight to fix this problem?
The Handdrawn Map mod has a political map mode and is much better than the vanilla map anyways.  I would always recommend using it even if you don't have to.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 04, 2009, 04:24:24 PM
No, If intel adverstises that it supports something that it doesn't, how can you make that the problem of a game developer.  Take your beef up with intel/store for selling you a lemon.  They have told you that you need pixelshader 2.0 - it is your responsibilty to figure out whether you actually have it before you blame them.

Its like you coming to the edge of a cliff and there is a sign that says "warning do not attempt to climb down without at least 100' of rope."  You look at your rope and it says "100" feet but in fact the manufacturer short changed you and only gave you 80' so now you cant make it to the bottom.

Instead of going after the rope company you are going after the owner of the cliff who didnt warn you that the rope manufacturer didnt do what they promised.

Because first, I'm skeptical that Paradox is correct in stating that Intel is misrepresenting its graphic cards. It is possible, but this applies to multiple Intel products over several years. If it is as clear as Paradox says, isn't it odd that Intel isn't getting its ass sued off for it?

And second, if I'm a guy selling permits to climb down a 100 foot cliff, and I know that there is a rope shop next door marketing 100 foot rope that is really 80 feet, I think it would be dishonest to keep selling the permits without mentioning the problem up front. Whether or not it is legal, that isn't a line of business I'd want to be in.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: sbr on June 04, 2009, 06:34:15 PM

The Handdrawn Map mod has a political map mode and is much better than the vanilla map anyways.  I would always recommend using it even if you don't have to.

Well, it is too late now; I got a new graphics card. Installing it is a task for tomorrow.

Tamas

Alright people a computer with only an integrated graphics card was never meant to run anything graphically more demanding than MS Word. If you want to play, you buy a graphics card. Simple as that, and it has always been this simple, regardless of the evölness of Paradox.

HisMajestyBOB

AR - you're better off asking modding questions on the Paradox modding forum, at least now that you're registered. ubik and dharper are like EU3 modding gods.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

alfred russel

So I started a game with England, with a 1493 start date and on very hard. I was going along nicely in about 1495, when Scotland and France declared war. I only had a 5000 man army, and was in big trouble. Had France landed troops, I'd have been screwed. But my navy bailed me out. With a lot of mercenaries, I took a couple provinces off of Scotland. I gave Calais to the French, since not to do so would seem a little gamey (Scotland was alliance leader, but I doubt in real life France would walk out of Calais because Scotland asked them to). It was actually exciting--for probably the first time in a paradox game I was actually worried about surviving with a major start country, and the war played out much like the history of the period.

But while that is encouraging, it is now a bit past 1500 and I already have most of Ireland and have neutered Scotland. In my very first game on very hard, it seems the old problem of the game just being too easy is still here.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on June 05, 2009, 06:19:41 AM
Alright people a computer with only an integrated graphics card was never meant to run anything graphically more demanding than MS Word. If you want to play, you buy a graphics card. Simple as that, and it has always been this simple, regardless of the evölness of Paradox.
True, and Paradox shpuld stop claiming that their games can be run with onboard graphics.

I don't think that it is reasonable for every Paradox customer to be aware of your personal opinions.

I also agree with AR that Paradox's hiding of their tech support forums to keep customers from discovering how buggy their games are before buying them "pirates from gettng tech support" is absolute bullshit, and one reason I don't do much business with them anymore (I did pick up the addons for HoI2, but that is the end of it).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

ulmont

Quote from: grumbler on June 06, 2009, 06:04:34 PM
True, and Paradox shpuld stop claiming that their games can be run with onboard graphics.

In fairness to Paradox, I have played EU3 just fine now on two different laptops with onboard graphics; the current chip is even some sort of Intel thing (Mobile Intel 965 Express, per device manager).

I agree that it should be easier to figure out if your onboard graphics won't work, though.

sbr

Quote from: grumbler on June 06, 2009, 06:04:34 PM
I also agree with AR that Paradox's hiding of their tech support forums to keep customers from discovering how buggy their games are before buying them "pirates from gettng tech support" is absolute bullshit, and one reason I don't do much business with them anymore (I did pick up the addons for HoI2, but that is the end of it).
I prefer that method of "copy protection" than all of the on-line authentication and root kits that other developers use.  I think if you spend any time on the forums you can get a sense of the problems people are having even without registering.  If someone starts a Tech Support type thread in the main forum it is locked, not deleted.  Shouldn't be too hard to look back a handful of pages and see what kind of problems other are having.

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on June 06, 2009, 11:34:37 AM
So I started a game with England, with a 1493 start date and on very hard. I was going along nicely in about 1495, when Scotland and France declared war. I only had a 5000 man army, and was in big trouble. Had France landed troops, I'd have been screwed. But my navy bailed me out. With a lot of mercenaries, I took a couple provinces off of Scotland. I gave Calais to the French, since not to do so would seem a little gamey (Scotland was alliance leader, but I doubt in real life France would walk out of Calais because Scotland asked them to). It was actually exciting--for probably the first time in a paradox game I was actually worried about surviving with a major start country, and the war played out much like the history of the period.

But while that is encouraging, it is now a bit past 1500 and I already have most of Ireland and have neutered Scotland. In my very first game on very hard, it seems the old problem of the game just being too easy is still here.

Alfred - you're playing as England.  It's one of the most powerful countries out there.  You shouldn't be facing existential crises as England, and you can and should be able to walk over any smaller nation.

All I can tell you is I'm having a fun but frustrating time playing as Venice.  I've expanded only cautiously, but now further expansion is blocked.  I'm squeezed between a Papal States that owns much of Italy on one side, Austria on another, HUngary, and a quite powerful Ottomans (haven't conquered the Mamluks, but have consolidated much of the Balkans).  If I try to pick off a small neighbor like Ragusa I get multiple DOWs.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Queequeg

Quote from: alfred russel on June 06, 2009, 11:34:37 AM
England is a tiny, relatively resource scarce country that conquered 1/4th of the world in this timeframe.  What do you expect?  Just keep the wooden walls up and take and keep control over the two big Islands and you are set for colonizing North America and eventually sticking your firm British proboscis into India and Australia. 

Play as Moscow.  Declare war on the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.  Prepare to be raped unless you've conquered, converted and cheated to culturally change most of the Islamic Steppe. 

One of the things I like about it is that subterfuge can make a huge difference in warfare, especially if you use it against a multi-ethnic, multi-religious Empire (like say Lithuania).  Actually it sometimes works too well, as it sometimes results in a shitload of Anti-judaist revolts going on pogroms and kicking the Jewish populations out of the Pale, which really pisses me off as I don't think I will ever be liberal enough to invite them to settle by myself. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

If you ever want to see something fun, just get the Espionage national trait around 1700 and use it to incite social chaos and dominate war councils during a conflict with a substantial power.  They go Yugoslavia within a couple of decades.   
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."