News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU3 Modification Question

Started by alfred russel, June 02, 2009, 05:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2009, 03:48:56 PM

Umm, I disagree.  First you're ignoring the 100 years war which included exactly that sort of thing.  The expansion of Prussia which involved exactly that sort of thing.  Various wars between the Italian city-states which involved just that sort of thing.  The Spanish Reconquista.  The Napoleonic Wars.  And that's just off the top of my head.

Western Europe did in fact have a handful of well-established borders - the Pyrenees for example between France and Spain.  But that certainly there was plenty of wars of conquest.

Not to get into a deep discussion of history here, which I'm outmatched in any event, but I'll counter that somewhat. First, I was assuming the period ended in 1789, so Napoleon is out. Things certainly did change after the French Revolution.

Second, in both Germany and Italy, there were fluctuations in borders, but these did not change the nature of the regions and no large power emerged. There were probably a few causes behind that, but one of the most important was the balance of power. For example, borders were certainly put into flux during the 30 years war, but France intervened to prevent the Catholic side from gaining a decisive victory. In a similar manner, when France stood to lawfully inherit Spain, most of Europe united in opposition during the War of Spanish Succession. These forces acted to prevent the significant consolidation of power, and are not modeled into the game (the badboy system doesn't really count, as it is both deeply flawed and only backward looking).

Third, I agree that the Spanish Reconquista was a major instance of shifting borders due to warfare, but it was mostly conducted before the EU timeframe and also was a special case in that it was between non Christian and Christian states. The same rules simply didn't apply.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2009, 03:51:17 PM
Anyways AR I think you're asking the wrong question.

You're asking "can I make a handful of very specific mods to the game", and are disappointed to learn the answer is probably no.

Instead you should ask "can I make significant mods to the game to make it more what I like", and I think the answer is probably yes.  You can make all kinds of mods and changes to the game that would probably make conquest tougher.  It's just some of the specific event triggers you suggest I don't think are allowed.

Is the answer probably no?  :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on June 03, 2009, 04:05:10 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2009, 03:51:17 PM
Anyways AR I think you're asking the wrong question.

You're asking "can I make a handful of very specific mods to the game", and are disappointed to learn the answer is probably no.

Instead you should ask "can I make significant mods to the game to make it more what I like", and I think the answer is probably yes.  You can make all kinds of mods and changes to the game that would probably make conquest tougher.  It's just some of the specific event triggers you suggest I don't think are allowed.

Is the answer probably no?  :(

You asked about a very very specific event - one that fires for having a certain number of non-core provinces.  Due to the way that core provinces work in this game, no, you can't make that specific event.

But can you make events that cause you great problems for holding non-core provinces (such as raising the stability costs)?  Yes you can.

But you really should play the game once before you wonder about how to improve it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2009, 04:10:09 PM

You asked about a very very specific event - one that fires for having a certain number of non-core provinces.  Due to the way that core provinces work in this game, no, you can't make that specific event.

But can you make events that cause you great problems for holding non-core provinces (such as raising the stability costs)?  Yes you can.

But you really should play the game once before you wonder about how to improve it.

Okay, I'm downloading EU3 complete now. This is the first game I've bought since victoria. I'm going to spend a lot of time figuring the game out, realize I don't like it, and when that happens I'm blaming you.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on June 03, 2009, 08:51:37 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 03, 2009, 08:50:08 PM
Okay, I'm downloading EU3 complete now.

:nelson

Now I'm going to blame you too for not speaking up until after I started downloading.

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on June 03, 2009, 09:07:18 PM
Now I'm going to blame you too for not speaking up until after I started downloading.

Bring it, bitch.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

So I get the game loaded, and try to fire it up, only to find I have the "blue map problem."

With certain intel hardware the game map won't load. There is a workaround, but you can never see a political map mode. A lot of people seem to be having this problem. Paradox says, "don't blame us, blame intel."

Paradox really is a shitty company. Even if they got blindsided by this coming out of beta testing, there should have been a fix in the expansion packs they are charging extra for.

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on June 03, 2009, 10:51:51 PM
Paradox really is a shitty company.

Huzzah! That wasn't so hard, was it? :w00t:

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on June 03, 2009, 11:01:15 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 03, 2009, 10:51:51 PM
Paradox really is a shitty company.

Huzzah! That wasn't so hard, was it? :w00t:

I just got this computer in January. It isn't top of the line, but it isn't that bad either. I can't imagine what Paradox was thinking that they make the graphics so intensive that people with even new computers can't use a basic part of the game.

Tamas

Uhm, if you have this problem, then your vidcard is an Intel one integrated on the motherboard.

Buy a proper one for 50$ or so.

Barrister

I've never experienced that problem with my now vaguely outdated 8800GT.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on June 04, 2009, 12:42:08 AM
I've never experienced that problem with my now vaguely outdated 8800GT.

There are 3 stickied threads in the Tech Support section on it. Apparently it is only a problem with Intel chips. Paradox claims it is an Intel problem, so the complaints should be sent to them.

crazy canuck

If you are using onboard video you cannot expect any sympathy.  Paradox designs games for people with real computers. 

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 04, 2009, 10:40:33 AM
Paradox designs games for people with real computers. 

I'm not quite sure what the appropriate phrase is yet, but it isn't the one you provided.