Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 02, 2014, 08:07:02 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2014, 07:17:28 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 02, 2014, 07:12:06 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2014, 07:05:03 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 02, 2014, 06:59:49 PM
I'm seeing Kyiv.  Which is retarded.

I thought Kyiv is how the Ukrainian government requested it be spelled.

They can do what they want, but Kiev is the English language name for the city; just as we have Rome and Munich, rather than their native language names.

You mean like Mumbai or Côte d'Ivoire?

FYP

Which highlights why people probably say Ivory Coast if they say anything at all.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on May 02, 2014, 08:26:39 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2014, 07:38:42 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 02, 2014, 07:19:22 PM
Both of which were silly and motivated primarily by ethnic prejudice.

And Kiev wasn't?
You have the logic switched.  Kiev was switched to Kyiv as a fuck-you to Russian speakers.  It has always been Kiev in English and we aren't even going to change our pronunciation.

This is not true.  It has no always been Kiev in English.  It only became so after the Russians took over.   Earliest spelling of Kyiv is "Kiou".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2014, 08:31:15 PM

Which highlights why people probably say Ivory Coast if they say anything at all.

My keyboard doesn't have a button for the thingy over the "o".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2014, 09:44:29 PM

My keyboard doesn't have a button for the thingy over the "o".

Circumflex.  It shows that the "o" used to be followed by an "s"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Fuck the government of the Ivory Coast.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Wow, this is really getting serious.  I hope none of you people have large gold balances outstanding on World of Tanks.

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2014, 09:43:14 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 02, 2014, 08:26:39 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2014, 07:38:42 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 02, 2014, 07:19:22 PM
Both of which were silly and motivated primarily by ethnic prejudice.

And Kiev wasn't?
You have the logic switched.  Kiev was switched to Kyiv as a fuck-you to Russian speakers.  It has always been Kiev in English and we aren't even going to change our pronunciation.

This is not true.  It has no always been Kiev in English.  It only became so after the Russians took over.   Earliest spelling of Kyiv is "Kiou".
In the 17th Century from the Poles.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2014, 07:05:03 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 02, 2014, 06:59:49 PM
I'm seeing Kyiv.  Which is retarded.

I thought Kyiv is how the Ukrainian government requested it be spelled.

When did anybody care? The Israeli government has been going on for decades how "Jerusalem" is not spelled tee-ee-ell-space-ay-vee-eye-vee
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on May 02, 2014, 06:24:31 PM
On a related note, Ukraine is running a BOGO special on mail order brides. :)

And if you order now, you can get brides that haven't suffered disfigurement from land mines and artillery rounds!
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on May 02, 2014, 10:34:48 PM
Wow, this is really getting serious.  I hope none of you people have large gold balances outstanding on World of Tanks.

Why wouldn't you want to have gold balances on world of tanks?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on May 03, 2014, 12:02:46 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 02, 2014, 10:34:48 PM

Why wouldn't you want to have gold balances on world of tanks?
It's a Russian game, further sanctions may shut it down for US.

Queequeg

32 Pro-Russians killed in Odessa fire. RT saying it is Right Sector.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."