Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: mongers on May 02, 2014, 07:12:06 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2014, 07:05:03 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 02, 2014, 06:59:49 PM
I'm seeing Kyiv.  Which is retarded.

I thought Kyiv is how the Ukrainian government requested it be spelled.

They can do what they want, but Kiev is the English language name for the city; just as we have Rome and Munich, rather than their native language names.
Bingo.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

They can do what they want, but Kiev is the English language name for the city; just as we have Rome and Munich, rather than their native language names.

You mean like Mumbai or Cote d'Ivoire?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Both of which were silly and motivated primarily by ethnic prejudice. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Kiev was the spelling before Ukraine and, it looks like there's a real chance it will be the spelling after Ukraine.   :ph34r:

Norgy

I'll accept that when Britain changes York into Jorvik and hands back the Shetlands, Orkneys and most of Scotland.
Bloody retards.

Razgovory

Quote from: Norgy on May 02, 2014, 07:26:19 PM
I'll accept that when Britain changes York into Jorvik and hands back the Shetlands, Orkneys and most of Scotland.
Bloody retards.

Jorvik isn't the original name.  It was originally Eborcum or something like that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on May 02, 2014, 07:19:22 PM

And Kiev wasn't?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2014, 07:38:05 PM
Quote from: Norgy on May 02, 2014, 07:26:19 PM
Bloody retards.

Jorvik isn't the original name.  It was originally Eborcum or something like that.

Just missing the a. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Russian amphibious forces approaching Odessa ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2014, 07:17:28 PM

You mean like Mumbai or Côte d'Ivoire?

FYP

Admiral Yi

Mumbai is as normal a part of the lexicon now as Beijing.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2014, 07:38:42 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 02, 2014, 07:19:22 PM

And Kiev wasn't?
You have the logic switched.  Kiev was switched to Kyiv as a fuck-you to Russian speakers.  It has always been Kiev in English and we aren't even going to change our pronunciation. 

Admiral Yi