News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Maybe he's calculating that after several months of Crimea=Russian being a forgone conclusion, the news cycle will have moved on (the Malaysian airliner has done a fair job of that for now)...Ukrainian cries that "Crimea=Ukraine" will either die down or become boring...and political reality will move on.

In the long run, Russia will have gained Crimea...relations with Ukraine might be permanently soured, but will probably eventually normalize with most of the West. 

Only invading the eastern regions of Ukraine are likely to make the situation intolerable to the West in the long term.

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on March 16, 2014, 04:05:31 PM
So far the results are that 95% of the voters are for joining Russia.  I have to say that I may have been wrong about the whole thing, it sounds like Crimeans really, really want to join Russia.
Do we have any idea how fair and accurate those stats are? Given that the nation is occupied by Russian troops and other militia, who is doing the counting of ballots? This sounds like one of those Presidential elections in a dictatorship where nearly 100% "vote" for the dictator.

Tonitrus

Hell, even Putin was smart enough to only get 63%.

Liep

Reports from journalists on Crimea indicates that it is a possible number, given that the boxes containing the votes were clear they could observe that all the votes were to join Russia.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Hell we couldn't get 95% of the American voters to approve staying in the USA.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

If only those who wanted to stay in America voted you could.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

Quote from: KRonn on March 17, 2014, 08:53:06 AM
So far the results are that 95% of the voters are for joining Russia.  I have to say that I may have been wrong about the whole thing, it sounds like Crimeans really, really want to join Russia.
Do we have any idea how fair and accurate those stats are? Given that the nation is occupied by Russian troops and other militia, who is doing the counting of ballots? This sounds like one of those Presidential elections in a dictatorship where nearly 100% "vote" for the dictator.

Well, people were very enthusiastic indeed, with a 123% turnout according to official statistics!

Quote385,462ppl registered in #Sevastopol due to statistics & 474,137ppl voted yesterday,which means123%votes |PR #Crimea

Maximus

Quote from: Liep on March 17, 2014, 08:57:01 AM
Reports from journalists on Crimea indicates that it is a possible number, given that the boxes containing the votes were clear they could observe that all the votes were to join Russia.
also reports that there were "election officials" going door to door asking people why they didn't vote and pushing a ballot in front of them.

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on March 17, 2014, 09:06:33 AM
Quote from: Liep on March 17, 2014, 08:57:01 AM
also reports that there were "election officials" going door to door asking people why they didn't vote and pushing a ballot in front of them.

In Soviet Crimea, ballot votes you!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on March 17, 2014, 09:02:29 AM
If only those who wanted to stay in America voted you could.

Nah about 10% of those would accidentally vote for Pat Buchanan instead.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Agelastus

Quote from: Tamas on March 17, 2014, 09:04:00 AM

Well, people were very enthusiastic indeed, with a 123% turnout according to official statistics!

Quote385,462ppl registered in #Sevastopol due to statistics & 474,137ppl voted yesterday,which means123%votes |PR #Crimea

Most reports I've seen say a voter turnout of between 70 and 80% - which given the boycott by various groups pretty much explains the massively high pro-Russian vote percentage.

What's the full translation of those statistics?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Malthus

Quote from: Tamas on March 17, 2014, 09:04:00 AM

Can you post a link for that? Thanks.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 17, 2014, 08:22:00 AM
Maybe he's calculating that after several months of Crimea=Russian being a forgone conclusion, the news cycle will have moved on (the Malaysian airliner has done a fair job of that for now)...Ukrainian cries that "Crimea=Ukraine" will either die down or become boring...and political reality will move on.

In the long run, Russia will have gained Crimea...relations with Ukraine might be permanently soured, but will probably eventually normalize with most of the West. 

Only invading the eastern regions of Ukraine are likely to make the situation intolerable to the West in the long term.

I think you are right, but I'm not sure about the last sentence.

At the beginning, I thought Putin grabbing Crimea would be stupid because the electoral impact of grabbing a small pro Russian part of a 50-50 country would mean that you are still left with a big Ukraine that is now slanted toward the west. But now that I look at how things have developed, you have a sizeable Russian minority in Ukraine that is going to give Russia endless pretexts to intervene.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 17, 2014, 09:14:08 AM
Nah about 10% of those would accidentally vote for Pat Buchanan instead.

:lol:

QuoteJust imagine what it was like for the most vulnerable residents of Palm Beach.  This is Esther Rosenthal. Esther Rosenthal is age 92, a Democrat all her life.. Esther left her nursing home Tuesday morning intending to vote for me! Totally bewildered by this ballot, she ended up voting for the Libertarian candidate, and switching her long-distance service to Sprint.  Okay.. Sidney and Reesa Mandel, age 87 and 85, ate their ballot!  While Rachel Goldensten, age 96, mailed hers to Barbra Streisand.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/world/article/NATO-pledges-close-cooperation-with-Ukraine-5323555.php

QuoteBRUSSELS (AP) — NATO has vowed to intensify cooperation with Ukraine after residents in the Crimea peninsula voted overwhelmingly to secede and try to join Russia.

Ukraine's Foreign Minister Andriy Deshchytsya visited NATO headquarters Monday with a request list for technical equipment that Ukraine's government needs to deal with the secession of Crimea and the Russian incursion there. It was not immediately clear what equipment Ukraine was asking for.

NATO said in a statement the alliance was determined to boost cooperation, including the "increased ties with Ukraine's political and military leadership, strengthening efforts to build the capacity of the Ukrainian military and more joint training and exercises."

Deshchytsya said in talks with NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen he "discussed our possible cooperation in the field of sending monitors to Ukraine."