News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I seriously doubt Russian troops are going to get involved.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Shit hits fan

QuoteAt least four reported dead, more than 100 injured as violent clashes break out near Ukraine's parliament (LIVE UPDATES, VIDEO)

Open warfare broke out on the streets of Kyiv today, with at least four persons reportedly killed and more than 100 people injured.

The death toll is likely to increase, as opposition leader Yuriy Lutsenko reported that he has seen at least 10 corpses today. There was no official confirmation of his estimate, however.

Dr. Olga Bogomolets, a physician, told the Kyiv Post at 3:30 p.m. today that three protesters had been shot to death while dozens more were injured, including many with serious wounds.

The Emergencies Ministry reported a fourth casualty, that of an employee for the ruling pro-presidential Party of Regions, apparently killed after protesters stormed the party office on Lypska Street.

Oleh Musiy, the medical director for the anti-government protesters, said that one victim died from a gunshot wound to the head while two others died from head injuries. The three slain protesters were taken to the House of Officers on Hrushevskoho Street.

One man is tentatively identified as Serhiy Didych, a member of a local city council in western Ukraine's Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast. Another is identified as Volodymyr Yuriyovych Kishuk of Zaporyzhia in southeastern Ukraine. The third fatal victim had not ben identified as of 5:30 pm.

The four deaths came amid renewed violent clashes that pit thousands of police and protesters against each other at several locations near Ukraine's parliament building in Kyiv.

When added to the five protesters killed in January, the death toll in the anti-government EuroMaidan protests that began on Nov. 21 has now reached nine persons.

Police said today that at least 37 police officers were injured, but that number could not be confirmed by other sources. The Institute of Mass Information also said that at least 15 journalists covering the violence were attacked by police.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2014, 09:55:25 AM

I'm sure the FSB is all over the place, but I'd be shocked if Putin did something so overt as to send uniformed troops.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

I doubt that they won't.  The Russians are already laying the groundwork for it.  The full-scale invasion of Ukraine is unlikely, but if Georgia example of dismemberment is anything to go by, there will be military involved.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on February 18, 2014, 12:31:39 PM
I doubt that they won't.  The Russians are already laying the groundwork for it.  The full-scale invasion of Ukraine is unlikely, but if Georgia example of dismemberment is anything to go by, there will be military involved.

Yeah, allegedly there has been a full-scale preparation campaign underway in the Russian media, easing up public opinion for it.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on February 18, 2014, 12:31:39 PM

In the Georgian case Russia got the right to station "peacekeepers" in Abkhazia as a quid pro quo for folding on Serbia.

Zero chance of Russian tanks rolling into Kiev.

Ed Anger

I don't know if I want a war boner on this.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Are there any consequences to the Russians occupying the Ukraine?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

celedhring

Don't think the Russians will start the tanks with the games still going.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on February 18, 2014, 01:49:09 PM
Are there any consequences to the Russians occupying the Ukraine?

Condemnation by the international community!!

And Yurocountries all pass shale drilling laws the next day.

The Brain

The League of Extraordinary Nations shall convene.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

That'd be a good thing.  All those Eurojerks fracking up a storm, while the environmentalists amoung them weep and gnash their teeth.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on February 18, 2014, 09:43:28 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2014, 09:08:39 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2014, 08:48:33 AM
Round 2 has begun!

Governing party's HQ ransacked, protesters getting into Parliament, beating up communist MPs, both side accusing the other of using firearms, and allegedly pro-government protesters joining the police, next escalation step toward civil war seems well under way.

How soon until the Russian Army arrives?

When is the closing ceremonies at the Olympics?

You sure about that?

The Russian invasion of Georgia took place during the 2008 Beijing Games...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2014, 02:02:41 PMYou sure about that?

I expect Putin was less concerned about taking focus away from the Beijing Games than the Sochi ones.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on February 18, 2014, 02:03:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2014, 02:02:41 PMYou sure about that?

I expect Putin was less concerned about taking focus away from the Beijing Games than the Sochi ones.

No, it was more that with the world's attention captured by the games, other news captures less international attention.

That being said, there's no way Russian tanks go waltzing through Maidan in Kiev.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.