And we're back!

Main Menu

Ukraine's European Revolution?

Started by Sheilbh, December 03, 2013, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Legbiter on March 03, 2014, 06:08:40 PM
Quote from: PJL on March 03, 2014, 05:45:52 PM
Everyone is assuming that Putin is still a rational player. Considering what we've from high level sources recently that he's on another planet, there is no obvious reason why people are assuming he'll be restrained this time. I think Putin's jumped the shark and gone Hitler on us.

He's very rational. Ukraine is a good buffer and almost all of Russia's foreign exchange comes from the oil and gas pipelines which run through the country to it's European customers. Russia will not see Ukraine shift westwards, it will use military force to keep it that way.

The questions is to what extent will he, rationally, use military force in order to do so.

I very much doubt he'd do it by sending the tanks into Kiev.

Have we forgotten the Euromaidan protests of just last week (and which are still undergoing)?  Forget the Ukrainian military, he'd have massive civil disobedience on his hand if he went that far.  Unless he wanted to go all Tiannamen Square on them, that doesn't seem to be a very rational option.

Rather, what he's attempting to do is re-Finnlandize Ukraine, to re-inforce that no matter who is in government, they must be deferential to Russia.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Legbiter

Quote from: Barrister on March 03, 2014, 06:13:50 PM

The questions is to what extent will he, rationally, use military force in order to do so.

Have we forgotten the Euromaidan protests of just last week (and which are still undergoing)?  Forget the Ukrainian military, he'd have massive civil disobedience on his hand if he went that far.  Unless he wanted to go all Tiannamen Square on them, that doesn't seem to be a very rational option.

Rather, what he's attempting to do is re-Finnlandize Ukraine, to re-inforce that no matter who is in government, they must be deferential to Russia.

I hope he dosen't roll on Kiev either. He'll sit in the Crimea, let Ukraine go bankrupt, watch them flail around and change governments a few times if need be and next September ask the Ukrainians whether they wouldn't prefer central heating this winter, with a friendly discount too.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

crazy canuck

Everyone is assuming that Putin is still a rational player. Considering what we've from high level sources recently that he's on another planet, there is no obvious reason why people are assuming he'll be restrained this time. I think Putin's jumped the shark and gone Hitler on us.

He's very rational. Ukraine is a good buffer and almost all of Russia's foreign exchange comes from the oil and gas pipelines which run through the country to it's European customers. Russia will not see Ukraine shift westward and it will use military force to keep it that way.

Agreed.  Putin has made a calculated play to regain control of Ukraine.  No one in the West will lose anything - except for the matter of not actually doing anything of substance to guarantee the territorial integrity of Ukraine.  Europe will continue to gets its gas and oil from Russia and so there will be no major disruption and life will go on.  With of course the exception of the Ukranians who will have learned the hard lesson that they should have retained their nukes rather than trusting to a piece of paper to protect their interests.

In time that particular broken obligation will be an interesting extra credit question in history classes covering the early 21st century. 

crazy canuck

That is the best case scenario for Western strategists.  But why would he stop at a merely neutral state when he has boots on the ground already.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2014, 06:21:19 PM

He's very rational. Ukraine is a good buffer and almost all of Russia's foreign exchange comes from the oil and gas pipelines which run through the country to it's European customers. Russia will not see Ukraine shift westward and it will use military force to keep it that way.

Agreed.  Putin has made a calculated play to regain control of Ukraine.  No one in the West will lose anything - except for the matter of not actually doing anything of substance to guarantee the territorial integrity of Ukraine.  Europe will continue to gets its gas and oil from Russia and so there will be no major disruption and life will go on.  With of course the exception of the Ukranians who will have learned the hard lesson that they should have retained their nukes rather than trusting to a piece of paper to protect their interests.

In time that particular broken obligation will be an interesting extra credit question in history classes covering the early 21st century.

I imagine other parts of Europe will lose out in due time.  If Vlad can get what he wants now, he'll be bolder in the future.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

I think Putin is very rational as well.  Being rational, he must understand that now is the perfect time to strike, and weather whatever weak jabs he'll get in return.  The prospect of peaceful relationship with Ukraine is pretty much ruined now anyway, Ukrainians will remember for a long time that he pointed a loaded gun at them, so they may as well remember that he pointed a loaded gun at them and fired it with impunity.

OttoVonBismarck

Obama's comments about Putin being "on the wrong side of history" remind me of how he blasted Romney and the GOP during the campaign and deepen my sense that Obama doesn't understand the core differences between politics domestically and foreign relations. Putin doesn't give two shits what side of history Barack Obama believes him to be on, I don't think he understand Putin isn't like the American electorate but a genuine strategic power that has to be treated with directly and not just by making him look bad while making yourself look good.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on March 03, 2014, 06:25:32 PM
I imagine other parts of Europe will lose out in due time.  If Vlad can get what he wants now, he'll be bolder in the future.

That is possible but each area presents its own risks for Putin which are far greater than his intervention into Ukraine.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

OttoVonBismarck

My assumption is for now at least Putin has stuck to Crimea and if he goes elsewhere, will stick to pro-Russian eastern Ukraine because the people there are pretty unlikely to riot in the streets over it. They may not necessarily want the Russians there, but they don't like the Kiev government either (and some of them do actually want the Russians there.) If he rolls into Kiev I don't see how he avoids having to basically massacre civilian protesters, and maybe he's ready to go that far but indications so far suggest probably not (if so, there's no benefit in waiting--he should have done it by now.)

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 03, 2014, 06:29:25 PM
Obama's comments about Putin being "on the wrong side of history" remind me of how he blasted Romney and the GOP during the campaign and deepen my sense that Obama doesn't understand the core differences between politics domestically and foreign relations. Putin doesn't give two shits what side of history Barack Obama believes him to be on, I don't think he understand Putin isn't like the American electorate but a genuine strategic power that has to be treated with directly and not just by making him look bad while making yourself look good.

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I heard Obama made that comment.

PJL

He's very rational. Ukraine is a good buffer and almost all of Russia's foreign exchange comes from the oil and gas pipelines which run through the country to it's European customers. Russia will not see Ukraine shift westwards, it will use military force to keep it that way.

You are correct that he wants to Finlandise Ukraine, and Ukraine to be deferential to Russia, but Putin does not recognise the interim government. As Yanukovich, the last legitimate (in Putin's eyes) president of Ukraine has asked for troops, then Putin will see occupying the whole of the Ukraine as helping the legitimate government out rather than an invasion.

So perhaps I was wrong to say he was irrational, but that is what I am expecting him to do next. He will not go just for the East since this is not just a ethnic Russians abroad in peril issue. He may use that as an excuse, but he will occupy all of Ukraine. As for casualties and disobedience, well the casualties in Chechnya didn't stop the war there, so I doubt it will stop him here.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Carl Bernstein (of Watergate fame) claimed on CNN that Merkele is strongly opposed to any sanctions regime "with teeth."

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 03, 2014, 06:39:13 PM
Carl Bernstein (of Watergate fame) claimed on CNN that Merkele is strongly opposed to any sanctions regime "with teeth."
Of course.  :rolleyes: