Why Pecan Pies Have Gotten So Expensive? It’s China’s fault!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 26, 2013, 10:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: HVC on December 02, 2013, 08:40:58 AM
Pecans pies while tasty, should really be called corn syrup pies, but I guess that doesn't sound as nice.

I add my vote to BB's apple pie nomination for best pie. Also, am I the only person who likes rhubarb pie?
I like rhubarb pie, but around here it's rare to find it.  Sometimes you see it mixed with some other fruit (apple-rhubarb pie, etc.)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Savonarola

Tart cherries are one of the principle crops of Michigan, so up there the cherry pies are the best.  There are even laws in Michigan requiring a certain number of cherries in order for it to be sold as cherry pie.

Here in Florida key lime pies are the best; even the grocery stores will sell very good key lime pies.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Quote from: Savonarola on December 02, 2013, 07:21:29 PM
Tart cherries are one of the principle crops of Michigan, so up there the cherry pies are the best.  There are even laws in Michigan requiring a certain number of cherries in order for it to be sold as cherry pie.

Here in Florida key lime pies are the best; even the grocery stores will sell very good key lime pies.

And Michigan cherry butter. :mmm:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

There are even laws in Michigan requiring a certain number of cherries in order for it to be sold as cherry pie.

How much do they pay the cherry counter?

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 02, 2013, 07:33:22 PM
There are even laws in Michigan requiring a certain number of cherries in order for it to be sold as cherry pie.

How much do they pay the cherry counter?

A pittance  :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tonitrus

From my month in Panama City, I can attest that this is true.  Though the pie at Uncle Ernie's bayside grill (noted as one of the best in that area) eclipsed those by a huge margin.  And I imagine PC is not even really in core key lime territory.

Admiral Yi

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Blueberry pie>Apple Pie=Pumpkin Pie>Any other crappy creme pies

DGuller

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on December 02, 2013, 11:25:40 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 02, 2013, 09:55:41 AM
I agree with Yi and Sheilbh.  :)  Apple is plebeian, pumpkin is sovereign, and coconut cream is sublime.
Your taste is all in your mouth.

Apple pie is complex, pumpkin much less so, and coconut cream last of all.  Good apple pie is as good as pie gets, though people who have never had good apple pie might not realize that.  Good pumpkin pie (spices balanced just right) is right up there, but not quite as good.  The worst pumpkin pie is probably still better than the worst apple pie.  The best coconut cream and the worst coconut cream are pretty much indistinguishable, though both are pretty tasty (if you can stand coconut at all) in a mediocre sort of way.

I've had the "real" apple and pumpkin pies you speak of. My sister-in-law makes them, makes great pies from scratch. Store bought are usually second rate compared, unless I can find a bakery that makes them well. My mother made the real pies too. So I have a tough time with the store bought stuff, especially the ones that substitute good fillings with too much sugary glop.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2013, 12:06:55 PM
The only thing better than good apple pie is a good apple crisp.

Which is just an apple pie with delicious crumbly topping.

That's the stuff. :mmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?