Why Pecan Pies Have Gotten So Expensive? It’s China’s fault!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 26, 2013, 10:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 27, 2013, 10:08:06 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 27, 2013, 06:06:36 AM
Fruit pie: :x

What a fucking idiot.

Honest mistake.  Tyr's thinking of pies made by Jim Pecan, who while completely sane is quite fruity.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Pecans pies while tasty, should really be called corn syrup pies, but I guess that doesn't sound as nice.

I add my vote to BB's apple pie nomination for best pie. Also, am I the only person who likes rhubarb pie?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

I agree with Yi and Sheilbh.  :)  Apple is plebeian, pumpkin is sovereign, and coconut cream is sublime.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

grumbler

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 02, 2013, 09:55:41 AM
I agree with Yi and Sheilbh.  :)  Apple is plebeian, pumpkin is sovereign, and coconut cream is sublime.
Your taste is all in your mouth.

Apple pie is complex, pumpkin much less so, and coconut cream last of all.  Good apple pie is as good as pie gets, though people who have never had good apple pie might not realize that.  Good pumpkin pie (spices balanced just right) is right up there, but not quite as good.  The worst pumpkin pie is probably still better than the worst apple pie.  The best coconut cream and the worst coconut cream are pretty much indistinguishable, though both are pretty tasty (if you can stand coconut at all) in a mediocre sort of way.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

I've never had a bad coconut cream pie, but the spread between "worst ever" and "best ever" is pretty narrow.

The only time I've ever had a bad pumpkin pie was one year when my wife did not follow the recipe accurately and put in 1/4th the amount of sugar called for--it resulted in basically something that tastes like unsweetened pumpkin filling which is really pretty horrifying. But normally unless you commit such an offense you can't fuck pumpkin pie up. Now, I have had creative pumpkin pies that go to a new level with toppings and different spices that are really, really good.

Apple pie is regularly mediocre, but when done correctly is amazing--grumbler is essentially correct on all points. I think a good Key Lime pie is also a thing of wonder, and it's very often done badly.

frunk

Good lemon meringue pie is the best, with perfect tartness.  All non homemade lemon meringue pie is crap, too sweet and with insubstantial meringue.  My mom is one of the few who makes it right.

Berkut

The only thing better than good apple pie is a good apple crisp.

Which is just an apple pie with delicious crumbly topping.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Brazen

Another Euro vote for the superiority of the pumpkin over the pecan. I much prefer a savoury meat or cheese pie, but treacle tart is the king of pastry-based desserts.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

My mother doesn't do many pies, but she has a holiday apple bread recipe that knocks Santa's socks off.  And her pumpkin nut bread is divine.

Tonitrus

Like some have already said...I generally dislike apple pie, but I've also had apple pie that was absolutely divine.

Pumpkin pie can also be good, and sometimes bad.

But the king of pies, is Key Lime.  As said above, bad key lime pie is very bed, but great key lime pie is food of the Hods.

I may have to suspend judgement, though, as I don't think I've ever had a coconut cream pie. :hmm: