News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most diverse or divided nation in Europe?

Started by Queequeg, November 29, 2013, 12:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Yeah. I doubt that'd even get a raised eyebrow. Jaywalking's a weird Americanism. Maybe Germans take it seriously?
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 30, 2013, 09:18:28 AM
Yeah. I doubt that'd even get a raised eyebrow. Jaywalking's a weird Americanism. Maybe Germans take it seriously?

Not really. I've never heard of anyone getting fined or told off by police for crossing the street where they weren't supposed to. In Vienna I once (accidentally) crossed a red light in front of a police car. The policemen grinned when they noticed I was a bit embarrassed and one wagged his finger at me.

Pedestrians crossing despite a red light is pretty common, especially if there's a tram to catch.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

Quote from: Queequeg on November 29, 2013, 04:02:22 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on November 29, 2013, 01:31:07 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on November 29, 2013, 12:33:49 PM
How would Spain rank?  I don't really know how well established non-Catalan/Valencian ethnic identities are.  I'd actually be interested in anecdotes on the subject.  Galician linguistically is far closer to Portuguese, and I would be interested to know how "Spanish" certain non-Castilian types view themselves.

One should not confuse Spain with Castille, even if most of us speak Castillian now.
That was kind of the entire point of the question in my post.  I was wondering if a man from Grenada, Extremadura or Leon thought of himself primarily by region or thought of himself as vaguely "Spanish". Also curious how these regional identities co-exist with separatist identities like the Catalans or Basques.

It varies from person to person. Some see themselves as Spanish first, some see themselves as Aragonese or Andalusians, some as Europeans, most as a combination of the above. Many simply don't care that much.
The one thing we have in common is most of us are annoyed at the antics of Catalan/Basque nationalists though.

In any case trying to show others how proud you are of being Spanish is often frowned upon and marks you as part of the extreme right (unless there's a World Cup or something).