News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most diverse or divided nation in Europe?

Started by Queequeg, November 29, 2013, 12:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2013, 07:05:37 PM
But show me a value and lifestyle profile of a random person and ask me to tell you if they are from Germany or France, and I can't do better than an educated guess.

This person: yells at strangers who jaywalk and saves 10% of his income but only invests it in the lowest-yielding, safest bank instruments.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2013, 07:13:22 PM

This person: yells at strangers who jaywalk and saves 10% of his income but only invests it in the lowest-yielding, safest bank instruments.

I'm going to have to ask for a clarification. What does the person say when yelling at jaywalkers? Please provide your answer untranslated.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2013, 07:17:54 PM
I'm going to have to ask for a clarification. What does the person say when yelling at jaywalkers? Please provide your answer untranslated.

I can't remember the actual dialogue.  Let's assume for the sake of argument the person says "You're supposed to wait for the light!"

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2013, 07:20:44 PM

I can't remember the actual dialogue.  Let's assume for the sake of argument the person says "You're supposed to wait for the light!"
A Tory voter in England with UKIP tendencies?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Josquius

Wales/Scotland/England aren't the truly divisive divisions in the UK. There's far more of a SE England/the rest divide.

The answer is of course Bosnia-Herzegovthingy.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I'd say Russia, which is made up a vast number of groups.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2013, 03:03:51 PM
Second of all, the Scottish, Welsh, Irish and English derive from totally different ethnic stocks and language families, and have retained a strong sense of national identity and are even now in the process of voting against independence.

FYP -_-

Regional devolution is the what is right for Scotland  :scots:

The reason I think this is because London is such a huge monster politically, economically, and culturally that its influence will always be overwhelming.  Best for the Scots to continue to have a large say on how it is run while securing as much self-rule as possible.  It is just a win-win.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on November 29, 2013, 08:17:15 PM
Wales/Scotland/England aren't the truly divisive divisions in the UK. There's far more of a SE England/the rest divide.

This is spot on and has been a big problem historically in the UK.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2013, 04:45:46 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 29, 2013, 04:39:43 PM

And when recent genetic studies looked at your theory they concluded the "substantial number of saxon invaders" were not all that substantial after all and that the genetic makeup hasnt changed much for thousands of years - just as BB suggested.

In a debate on modern culture and politics, if we are looking for evidence of what was going on 1000+ years ago through genetic testing, I think we getting lost in the weeds a bit.

Agreed, but since the debate between BB and the two who disagreed with him was one regarding genetics I am not sure your observation is all that relevant. ;)

alfred russel

I think this is the right answer. The country has spent the last 15 years or so under foreign control because different factions in the country can't be trusted to coexist.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2013, 07:38:16 PM
Why not French?

I don't think the stereotype is for such people to be french.

I really don't believe that though. I suspect the French have their share of miserly cranks that invest conservatively. 

Queequeg

Quote from: alfred russel on November 30, 2013, 12:08:12 AM

I think this is the right answer. The country has spent the last 15 years or so under foreign control because different factions in the country can't be trusted to coexist.
They're also tiny, monolingual and share a common cuisine and until the early 90s had been getting along pretty good.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on November 30, 2013, 12:08:12 AMI think this is the right answer. The country has spent the last 15 years or so under foreign control because different factions in the country can't be trusted to coexist.
And in some ways it's getting worse. It wouldn't massively surprise me if there was another conflict there :(

In terms of culture of countries I've visited, I'd say France or Italy. Though I've never been to Germany or Spain properly.

France may all speak the same language, with a few local dialects, but the cultural difference between Provence and La Rochelle and Brittany are huge. That's part of the reason France is so great.

Italy's got similar cultural differences with everyone speaking dialect first and Italian second. Again it's part of why Italy's such a great place to visit.

By contrast Belgium's got linguistic differences and separatist politics but there's really very little difference, in my experience, from Francophone Belgium and Flanders.
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2013, 07:28:05 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2013, 07:20:44 PM

A Tory voter in England with UKIP tendencies?

More likely an American since Britons tend not to yell at "Jaywalkers".

[A motorist would express his displeasure with his horn and a passing by pedestrian wouldn't be bothered enough to do anything more than sigh - assuming they were part of the 0.01% bothered enough to do anything.]

I say this as a Tory voter with UKIP tendencies.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."