News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most diverse or divided nation in Europe?

Started by Queequeg, November 29, 2013, 12:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on November 29, 2013, 12:32:45 PM
backwards mountain Hungarians living in one big blob in the middle of the country, resisting all efforts to even start assimilating.

Only in America!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

Quote from: Queequeg on November 29, 2013, 12:30:18 PM
1 million, so 16 times more than speak Scottish Gaelic and maybe 300,000 more than speak Welsh.  And that's one regional language.

Gaelic is one thing.

But look at this and tell me, with a straight face, that it is English as spoken in the rest of the country.

Scottish Star Trek

By that token, Dutch and Germans share a language. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2013, 12:18:09 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on November 29, 2013, 12:14:15 PM
I don't think so.  Welsh is only spoken in the far north-west, Scottish is hardly spoken at all, the entire country is Protestant.  Having 300 years of unified government does a lot to unify a country, too.

But they view themselves and each other as distinct people.  In your example everyone speaks Italian.

Careful now QQ is in one of his 'defining' moods, never mind the possibility that a majority of one nation could decide to swan off and form a separate country within the next two years.

QQ, how divided was Czechoslovakia in 1989 ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tonitrus

Queequeg

Quote from: Tamas on November 29, 2013, 12:52:14 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on November 29, 2013, 12:34:51 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 29, 2013, 12:33:42 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on November 29, 2013, 12:33:13 PM
Is Russia in Europe?

Do you want me to answer that?  :P
At least their language is Indo-European, Turanian.

My language is Finno-Ugric, thankyouverymuch.
I was using Turanian in it's classic non-Indo European sense.  It was used as a catch-all term for Steppe peoples for a thousand years by Iranians, and throughout the 19th Century and in to the 20th.  It was hard to think of an insulting catch-all term for Finno-Ugric peoples. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: Syt on November 29, 2013, 12:48:01 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on November 29, 2013, 12:30:18 PM
1 million, so 16 times more than speak Scottish Gaelic and maybe 300,000 more than speak Welsh.  And that's one regional language.

Gaelic is one thing.

But look at this and tell me, with a straight face, that it is English as spoken in the rest of the country.

Scottish Star Trek

By that token, Dutch and Germans share a language. :P
I understood like 80% of that.  Granted, the UK has some pretty extreme dialects (and Scots, a different language separate from the Scottish English in that video), but I think you'd have a harder time understanding Swiss German as an inhabitant of Eastern Frisia than I did with that.    :huh:

Razgovory

Italy is pretty screwy.  Spain and Belgium are up there as well.  Fortunately they've found a way to keep unified:  Every speaks English.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

I want Belgium to break up so the Netherlands can be restored to Union of Utrecht greatness.  :wub:

The Larch

Quote from: Queequeg on November 29, 2013, 12:33:49 PM
How would Spain rank?  I don't really know how well established non-Catalan/Valencian ethnic identities are.  I'd actually be interested in anecdotes on the subject.  Galician linguistically is far closer to Portuguese, and I would be interested to know how "Spanish" certain non-Castilian types view themselves.

We're pretty diverse, thanks. Slightly ahead of Italy, I'd say. What would you exactly want to know?

As for France, I'd say that it's a bit more diverse than people credit them.

Iormlund

How would Spain rank?  I don't really know how well established non-Catalan/Valencian ethnic identities are.  I'd actually be interested in anecdotes on the subject.  Galician linguistically is far closer to Portuguese, and I would be interested to know how "Spanish" certain non-Castilian types view themselves.

One should not confuse Spain with Castille, even if most of us speak Castillian now.

The Larch

Quote from: Iormlund on November 29, 2013, 01:31:07 PM

One should not confuse Spain with Castille, even if most of us speak Castillian now.

Don't tell that to a Portuguese.  :P For them every spaniard is a castillian, except for basques and catalans. Us galicians are honourary portuguese.  :lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on November 29, 2013, 12:02:39 PM
Reading The Prague Cemetery, it's kind of amazing how completely divided 19th Century Italy was. 

Should've seen it in the Renaissance.

Diverse: showing a great deal of variety; very different.
Divided: separate or be separated into parts.

Spellus strikes again.