RCMP Corporal thinks he should be allowed to smoke pot while in uniform

Started by Barrister, November 28, 2013, 01:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 29, 2013, 09:33:32 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on November 29, 2013, 09:06:34 AM
And rightfully so.

People should get to decide if they want to get high. The state should only object if they are undertaking activities where this would affect others (second hand smoke) or pose a safety hazard (driving, carrying a gun, handling dangerous machinery, etc).

Then Medical MaryJane activists should be honest about what they're actually after.

They can start by removing "Medical" from "Medical Marijuana", because they really don't give two shits about it. 
They're just interested in legalizing marijuana, which is no big deal, but at least be honest about your agenda:  getting stoned.

Barrister

Update:

QuoteUPDATED
Cpl. Ron Francis turns over RCMP dress uniform
WARNING: Video contains graphic language
CBC News Posted: Nov 29, 2013 10:43 AM AT Last Updated: Nov 29, 2013 1:38 PM AT

The New Brunswick Mountie at the centre of a debate about smoking medicinal marijuana while wearing his police uniform turned over his formal RCMP red serge Friday.

Cpl. Ron Francis arrived at J Division headquarters in Fredericton as promised to hand over his dress uniform at noon.

Cpl. Ron Francis hands over his RCMP dress uniform Friday at J Division headquarters in Fredericton. (CBC)

RCMP officers had seized Francis's other uniforms and related apparel at his home Thursday night. Francis did not have his dress uniform at his home and said he would turn it over over Friday.

Francis was ordered to turn the items in after he was photographed and videoed smoking marijuana in his uniform.

Francis held an eagle feather in one hand throughout his visit to headquarters. Before handing over his dress uniform, Francis removed his medal for 20 years of exemplary service to the RCMP with shaking hands.

"It's my medal," a sobbing Francis said to reporters minutes later.

"They can have their uniform. This is my medal," he said.

"I earned this. I earned it with my blood, my sweat, my tears.

"I have not one flaw on my service record," said Francis. "My only flaw is I stuck up for the Canadian people.

"And I'd stick up for this country because the government doesn't do anything for them."

The 21-year veteran of the RCMP has a prescription for medical marijuana to deal with the post-traumatic stress disorder that he says is a result of his work. Francis believes he should be able to smoke medicinal marijuana while in uniform.

Francis still has his RCMP badge and remains a Mountie, but is on medical leave.

He was upset when fellow RCMP officers arrived at his home Thursday evening to collect his uniforms and gear.

The scene was captured on video by his cousin, and Francis provided a copy of it to CBC News. It contains strong language.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/cpl-ron-francis-turns-over-rcmp-dress-uniform-1.2444935
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 29, 2013, 10:52:18 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 29, 2013, 09:33:32 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on November 29, 2013, 09:06:34 AM
And rightfully so.

People should get to decide if they want to get high. The state should only object if they are undertaking activities where this would affect others (second hand smoke) or pose a safety hazard (driving, carrying a gun, handling dangerous machinery, etc).

Then Medical MaryJane activists should be honest about what they're actually after.

They can start by removing "Medical" from "Medical Marijuana", because they really don't give two shits about it. 
They're just interested in legalizing marijuana, which is no big deal, but at least be honest about your agenda:  getting stoned.

I guess that would be a smart thing to do if you didn't want your agenda to pass. In reality though to trick/neutralize blue hairs like you and Der, need to use a little subterfuge.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

It is normal to seize a Mountie's uniforms if he goes on medical leave?

Barrister

Quote from: dps on November 29, 2013, 04:37:32 PM
It is normal to seize a Mountie's uniforms if he goes on medical leave?

Very little about this story is normal.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I sense extreme positions being taken by both parties.  A pox on both of them.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 29, 2013, 03:40:13 PM
Heh.  Hear that, Seedy?  He called us "blue hairs".

Too funny.

I'm all for decriminalizing marijuana, just don't see how exploiting the sick and infirm helps.

Garbon's company must not manufacture THC alternatives, or he wouldn't be such a cunt about it.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2013, 07:11:19 PM
Exploiting the sick and infirm? :unsure:

Pretending to be concerned about medical issues when really they just want to get buzzed.

Neil

It's not like their exploitation of the sick and infirm hurts anyone though.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: Neil on November 29, 2013, 08:14:25 PM
It's not like their exploitation of the sick and infirm hurts anyone though.

Yeah, I wouldn't have used CdM's term here for that reason.  The sick and infirm aren't actually being taken advantage of.  It's more of an appeal to emotion rather than reason, sort of like, "Think of the children".

crazy canuck

fyi, a constitutional challenge was filed on Friday regarding the restrictions in the new medical pot regulations.  Part of what is being challenged is that it is now only legal to obtain the drug in dried form which will require smoking rather than other delivery methods.