Japan bans RAPE games = 10-20% of their games industry.

Started by Syt, June 02, 2009, 01:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92126-Rape-Games-Banned-in-Japan-For-Real
QuoteRape Games Banned in Japan, For Real

Following an emergency meeting of the Ethics Organization of Computer Software it has been determined, apparently for real this time, that rape games will be banned in Japan - sort of.

The meeting involved almost 100 representatives of various eroge companies but Canned Dogs says there was "surprisingly little" opposition to the proposed ban, with most seemingly resigned to the fact that rule changes were inevitable. Instead, the attendees were more concerned with determining what would and would not be acceptable.

Specific guidelines weren't set and until they are the EOCS will work with game companies on an individual basis to monitor new releases. Tighter restrictions on packaging and game titles are expected to take effect almost immediately, however; Syrup Soft has already responded to the new regulations by changing the name of its upcoming game Gang Raped by the Entire Village ~Girls Covered in Milky Liquid~ to The Trap Set by the Entire Village ~Bodies Covered in Milky Liquid~. It's a subtle distinction, yes, but apparently adequate; in-game content will not be modified.

The EOCS, much like the ESRB in North America, is a voluntary organization, so these proposed changes won't actually be enshrined in Japanese law. It sounds like games that cross the line will be refused a rating by the agency instead, which may keep them out of "mainstream" Japanese retail outlets but won't prevent their creation or distribution. An outright ban on the games seems very unlikely; while the genre might seem odd or outrageous to most North American gamers, it's estimated to account for 10-20 percent of the Japanese PC game industry, enough to give it a considerable amount of clout in the decision-making process.

No more RapeLay (NSFW Somethingawful review) for Timmay, I guess. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Syt on June 02, 2009, 01:21:06 PM
No more RapeLay (NSFW Somethingawful review) for Timmay, I guess. :(

Battle Raper was the superior series.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Aw Jeez, I read Syt's link.  Why aren't we nuking this country.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Savonarola

Quote from: Neil on June 02, 2009, 02:00:00 PM
An emergency meeting?  What's the emergency?

There's a trap set by the entire village.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

Quote from: Savonarola on June 02, 2009, 02:01:28 PM

Yeah that's something I'd want to avoid.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2009, 02:01:18 PM
Why would anyone do so?  They're no threat to anybody anymore.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2009, 02:03:16 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 02, 2009, 02:01:28 PM

Yeah that's something I'd want to avoid.
I don't think the trap was set for you.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on June 02, 2009, 02:03:50 PM
Why aren't we nuking this country.

What if that's what made them be this way ... ?

Mhh, I'm having an idea here:

Lets talk to Iran. Tell that that if they don't stop their nuclear program we'll nuke them.
Then show them pictures and articles about Japan and try to convince them that this is what happens when you're nuked.
It might just scare them into giving up the bomb

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on June 02, 2009, 02:09:17 PM
Why would anyone do so?  They're no threat to anybody anymore.

What does that have to with anything?

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2009, 01:50:15 PM
What is the deal with the Japanese.

They keep thinking America will ask them to the prom if they can just shed some of the things America finds distasteful

ie: just 4 years ago or so they adopted an age of consent. 18.

Anytime stuff like this happens in Japan it's US pressure, or peer pressure.

And is most definitely not an indicator of any kind of cultural shift or Hod forbid growth.
:p

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 02, 2009, 09:11:10 PM
And is most definitely not an indicator of any kind of cultural shift or Hod forbid growth.
I'm surprised to find you so judgemental.