News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Taliban Jews flees Quebec from persecution

Started by viper37, November 21, 2013, 04:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 07, 2014, 02:47:04 AM
AFAIK governments can't remove children from parents without due process and proper proof, whether "crazy religious sects" are involved or not.
Your statement is invalid in Russia, China, North korea, and Viperland.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

If a parent is a proper poof then remove away I say.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 07, 2014, 02:18:50 AM
Quote from: Siege on February 06, 2014, 09:50:28 PM
Anti-Semitism!!!!!!11111

Malthus should really be ashamed of himself.

Oh I am.

But shame merely drives me to yet greater acts of depravity, I'm afraid.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 07, 2014, 02:47:04 AM
AFAIK governments can't remove children from parents without due process and proper proof, whether "crazy religious sects" are involved or not.
There has been due process.  But you don't wait 10 years in appeal court to remove children from crazy religious sects.

To elaborate because you obviously didn't read the story and simply focus on the "jew" part which seemed to have shocked you: Quebec's child services were about to intervene, so the sect moved to Ontario during the night, before due process could happen.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Anti-Semitism!!!!!!11111
I just don't like religious lunatics and fanatics.  Christians, muslims or jews, they're all the same to me when they're crazy, and they shouldn't be entitled to any specific considerations.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2014, 10:30:09 AM
Anti-Semitism!!!!!!11111
I just don't like religious lunatics and fanatics.  Christians, muslims or jews, they're all the same to me when they're crazy, and they shouldn't be entitled to any specific considerations.

Or, apparently, the rights of appeal available to non-lunatics.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on February 07, 2014, 10:40:09 AM
Ok.  What's the usual mo in child's custody cases when the parents, with priors in similar cases, flee one province to another (or state, for the US) to interfere with social services actions?  Give the benefit of the doubt to the parents or slamm them as hard as the law will allow?

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2014, 10:30:09 AM
Anti-Semitism!!!!!!11111

What about crazy nationalists?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2014, 11:22:13 AM
Quote from: Malthus on February 07, 2014, 10:40:09 AM
Ok.  What's the usual mo in child's custody cases when the parents, with priors in similar cases, flee one province to another (or state, for the US) to interfere with social services actions?  Give the benefit of the doubt to the parents or slamm them as hard as the law will allow?

I have no idea, family law is not my thing.

Any evidence that granting a right of appeal is *not* normal in this situation?

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on February 07, 2014, 01:39:45 PM

According to a lawyer (family and medical malpractice are her specialty) I met last summer, a Quebec judge would never grant child custody to a parent that tried to evade the law in the first place, appeal or no appeal, the children would be removed from these parent's care or placed under supervision.

The case of Myriam Bédard is slightly different since it involves one of the parent filing complaint for kidnapping, but it is revealing of the general attitude toward such parents: she was arrested in the US, her child put in the hands of social services in the US, then transferred to Canada to her father while Bédard was jailed, and later went to trial.  She did not have unsupervised contact with her child after that.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2014, 01:55:27 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 07, 2014, 01:39:45 PM

According to a lawyer (family and medical malpractice are her specialty) I met last summer, a Quebec judge would never grant child custody to a parent that tried to evade the law in the first place, appeal or no appeal, the children would be removed from these parent's care or placed under supervision.

The case of Myriam Bédard is slightly different since it involves one of the parent filing complaint for kidnapping, but it is revealing of the general attitude toward such parents: she was arrested in the US, her child put in the hands of social services in the US, then transferred to Canada to her father while Bédard was jailed, and later went to trial.  She did not have unsupervised contact with her child after that.

Being granted custody is a whole different thing from being granted a right to appeal. These folks are claiming their move had nothing to do with an attempt to evade Quebec jurisdiction. Presumably, they have a right to assert that argument in court, no?

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on February 07, 2014, 03:01:52 PM
Being granted custody is a whole different thing from being granted a right to appeal. These folks are claiming their move had nothing to do with an attempt to evade Quebec jurisdiction. Presumably, they have a right to assert that argument in court, no?
I'm not denying their right to defend themselves, or their right to appeal.

I am denying their right to keep the children, as if nothing happenned, while they make their argument in court.

Everyone is entitled to a fair defense, religious nut or not.  But if child services of one, heck, now even two, provinces, find sufficient evidences to remove some of the children from their parents, I don't see why the courts should let them keep their kids during the lenghty appeal process. 

If they weren't part of a religious sect, I'm betting on the fact the tribunal would have removed the kids from unfit parents.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2014, 03:32:51 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 07, 2014, 03:01:52 PM
I'm not denying their right to defend themselves, or their right to appeal.

I am denying their right to keep the children, as if nothing happenned, while they make their argument in court.

Everyone is entitled to a fair defense, religious nut or not.  But if child services of one, heck, now even two, provinces, find sufficient evidences to remove some of the children from their parents, I don't see why the courts should let them keep their kids during the lenghty appeal process. 

If they weren't part of a religious sect, I'm betting on the fact the tribunal would have removed the kids from unfit parents.

But you have exactly no evidence of that.

Your attempt to make a big deal of a routine stay pending appeal isn't creating much outrage.  :yawn:

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on February 07, 2014, 03:41:16 PM
Your attempt to make a big deal of a routine stay pending appeal isn't creating much outrage.  :yawn:
yet, you keep posting.