News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Daleks Vs Dallas 1PM

Started by mongers, November 21, 2013, 02:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which has had the greater Cultural Impact over the subsequent 50 years?

Dr Who TV Series
10 (35.7%)
JFK Assassination
14 (50%)
About equal
1 (3.6%)
Don't Know
2 (7.1%)
Mongers What Are You Playing At?
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: November 24, 2013, 02:13:26 PM

celedhring

It was shown in the Catalan TV when I was a kid, and it was a moderate hit over here. It was one of my favorite shows as a kid; given how scary it was compared to other children share we got offered at the time. The new batch is shown over here too, but the ratings are very marginal and I don't think it has much following outside cult status.

Personally I don't think it has aged that well, the cheesier sci-fi aspects of it were passable 20+ years ago, but they stand out like sore thumbs in this day and age. But I'm not in the age group anymore, I'm sure I'd love it if I were 12 again.

derspiess

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 21, 2013, 09:30:28 PM
I'm sorry, I have to join the other Americans in not getting Dr. Who.  Though I do admit I've never made a good-faith attempt to get into it, or really watched more than a single episode at a time.  That said, I do have American friends who are bananas for it, and get frequent mystifying Dr. Who crap in my Facebook.

Ditto.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

JR was great, Cliff Barnes totally rocked the loser stuff, and Bobby melted our hearts.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Brazen on November 22, 2013, 05:07:31 AM
I think given photos of both, more Brits would be able to identify a Dalek over JFK.

I guess Brits are still holding a grudge about Kennedy pere.

Eddie Teach

Bobby went on to make a Brady Bunch rehash that my sister always insisted on watching. :thumbsdown:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

I think given photos of both, more Brits would be able to identify a Dalek over JFK.

Sadly true.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Agelastus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 22, 2013, 01:41:04 PM

I guess Brits are still holding a grudge about Kennedy pere.

Doubtful; I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be a pointless Pointless* answer.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointless_(game_show)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

My wife votes for Daleks. Today, she asked me why LHO wanted JFK dead, but when we were in Seattle, she wanted to go in the EMP museum solely because it had a Dalek on the sign.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 23, 2013, 12:46:31 AM
My wife votes for Daleks. Today, she asked me why LHO wanted JFK dead, but when we were in Seattle, she wanted to go in the EMP museum solely because it had a Dalek on the sign.

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 21, 2013, 09:30:28 PM
I'm sorry, I have to join the other Americans in not getting Dr. Who.  Though I do admit I've never made a good-faith attempt to get into it, or really watched more than a single episode at a time.  That said, I do have American friends who are bananas for it, and get frequent mystifying Dr. Who crap in my Facebook.
Just to come back to this, how and why is Dr Who popular in America? When did this happen? :blink:

It seems really weird for some reason.

QuoteI think given photos of both, more Brits would be able to identify a Dalek over JFK.
Yeah and they'd recognise both over any PM before Thatcher (Churchill excepted).
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 25, 2013, 10:25:39 AM
Just to come back to this, how and why is Dr Who popular in America? When did this happen? :blink:

I don't think it is really popular.  It is a nerd culty sort of thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2013, 10:28:10 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 25, 2013, 10:25:39 AM

I don't think it is really popular.  It is a nerd culty sort of thing.

Yeah that's what I've seen.