News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Daleks Vs Dallas 1PM

Started by mongers, November 21, 2013, 02:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which has had the greater Cultural Impact over the subsequent 50 years?

Dr Who TV Series
10 (35.7%)
JFK Assassination
14 (50%)
About equal
1 (3.6%)
Don't Know
2 (7.1%)
Mongers What Are You Playing At?
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: November 24, 2013, 02:13:26 PM

Capetan Mihali

I think it also fits in with a certain strain of pop-cultural Anglophilia that you find in America these days, at least at the "cult favorite" level.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2013, 10:28:10 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 25, 2013, 10:25:39 AM
Just to come back to this, how and why is Dr Who popular in America? When did this happen? :blink:

I don't think it is really popular.  It is a nerd culty sort of thing.

It's gained some level of "popularity" because all things nerdy have gained some level of social acceptability.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Kleves

Inspector Spacetime > Doctor Who.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

frunk

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on November 25, 2013, 12:57:48 PM
Inspector Space Time Wiki

Is this for real?  Graham Chapman?  Stephen Fry?  Christopher Lee?  WTF?  And I have never heard of this?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2013, 01:01:07 PM

Is this for real?  Graham Chapman?  Stephen Fry?  Christopher Lee?  WTF?  And I have never heard of this?

No, it isn't.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2013, 01:01:07 PM

You've never heard about it because you don't watch Community.  :P

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on November 25, 2013, 01:11:50 PM

If it is on NBC it doesn't exist.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on November 22, 2013, 10:34:42 AM
It was shown in the Catalan TV when I was a kid, and it was a moderate hit over here. It was one of my favorite shows as a kid; given how scary it was compared to other children share we got offered at the time. The new batch is shown over here too, but the ratings are very marginal and I don't think it has much following outside cult status.

Personally I don't think it has aged that well, the cheesier sci-fi aspects of it were passable 20+ years ago, but they stand out like sore thumbs in this day and age. But I'm not in the age group anymore, I'm sure I'd love it if I were 12 again.

Same here, it was shown in Galician TV during the 80s, the Tom Baker era, the one with the scarf. If you watch one of those episodes now you can't dismiss the terrible terrible production values, but through the eyes of a child those things matter less. I recently watched some of the more modern ones, the ones with Christopher Eccleston, and they were ok, but hardly breathtaking. It's a textbook niche and cult show.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2013, 01:14:13 PM

Your loss, they've had some great shows the last few years.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on November 25, 2013, 01:16:57 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2013, 01:14:13 PM

Your loss, they've had some great shows the last few years.

That was a joke :P.  I fully intend to watch Community someday when I have the time.

Admiral Yi

Only one of them wore a scard??  :blink:

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 25, 2013, 03:14:43 PM
Only one of them wore a scard??  :blink:

Only Tom Baker had the scarf:

He was the longest reigning Doctor and so the scarf is usually associated with Dr. Who.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

I asked about the scard dammit.  :mad: