Started by Phillip V, November 20, 2013, 10:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: dps on November 21, 2013, 07:15:54 AM
Dude, we still have troops in Germany, and it's been 68 years now.

When did the German Government ask us to leave?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Quote from: dps on November 20, 2013, 11:41:23 PM
The problem in Iraq (well, not the only problem) was that we turned power back over to them too quickly.

I remember the EUOT debates back in the pre-war days, and the pro-war consensus was the US would be there for a few months, couple years at the most.

KRonn

Quote from: Iormlund on November 21, 2013, 10:49:29 AM
The problem in Iraq (well, not the only problem) was that we turned power back over to them too quickly.

I remember the EUOT debates back in the pre-war days, and the pro-war consensus was the US would be there for a few months, couple years at the most.

That's amazing that people even considered such a short time frame. Interventions are usually longer term, the messier the situation the longer term it would be. Heck, even in the Balkans there are still NATO troops in Bosnia. Given how badly Afghanistan was messed up, all the fractional fighting plus the Taliban, AQ and their allies, it should have been a given that intervention was a long term event.

Berkut

As a member of said pro-war consensus, you are full of shit. To be polite about it.

Nobody said the US would be out in a few months.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2013, 09:31:15 AM
Quote from: dps on November 21, 2013, 07:15:54 AM
Dude, we still have troops in Germany, and it's been 68 years now.

When did the German Government ask us to leave?

Stockholm syndrome. :perv:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Quote from: Berkut on November 21, 2013, 11:25:22 AM

As a member of said pro-war consensus, you are full of shit. To be polite about it.

Aham. I distinctly remember the argument that invasion would be cheaper than keeping forces necessary to contain Saddam stationed in the Gulf. :lol:

Viking

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 21, 2013, 09:17:24 AM
Maybe we can clone Dostrum.

Bad idea, there isn't enough whiskey and cigars in the world to supply two of them.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Maximus

"Nobody" is a strong word. There are morons who will say all kinds of things.

The fallacy lies in the Raztastic idea that because someone made that argument, everyone on the same "team" is responsible for it.

derspiess

Ditto.  Bush (OMG teh Hitlar) himself said from the beginning it would require a long commitment.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on November 21, 2013, 11:58:48 AM

Ditto.  Bush (OMG teh Hitlar) himself said from the beginning it would require a long commitment.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

My recollection is that the pro intervention side also expressed the hope that the commitment would be made to stay after the initial military action to provide stability.

There may have been an idiot or two who thought it would be a quick operation but that would certainly have been an outlier view.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2013, 02:30:05 AM
What exactly do we expect to happen in ten years?

Phone the Kremlin, ask for one of the soviet era janitors, they should have a pretty good idea.

Just remember the to halve the remaining time they give the regime after the superpower withdrawals.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Berkut

Quote from: Iormlund on November 21, 2013, 11:54:11 AM

Aham. I distinctly remember the argument that invasion would be cheaper than keeping forces necessary to contain Saddam stationed in the Gulf. :lol:

lol

Way to move those goalposts.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned