American troops may remain in Afghanistan until at least 2024

Started by Phillip V, November 20, 2013, 10:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

'The United States and Afghanistan have finalized the wording of a bilateral security agreement that would allow for a lasting American troop presence through 2024 and set the stage for billions of dollars of international assistance to keep flowing to the government in Kabul.
After a war that stands as the longest in American history, the security agreement defines a training and counterterrorism mission in Afghanistan lasting at least 10 more years and involving 8,000 to 12,000 troops.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/21/world/asia/afghan-pact-kerry-apology-.html

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2013, 11:12:30 PM
None of you actually thought we'd leave, did you?

Heck, I didn't think we'd be stupid enough to leave Iraq, but I guess I undersestimated the stupidity of our political leaders.

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on November 20, 2013, 11:18:52 PM
Heck, I didn't think we'd be stupid enough to leave Iraq, but I guess I undersestimated the stupidity of our political leaders.
I don't think Bush had any choice. I mean what would you give to convince Maliki to let you stay?
Let's bomb Russia!

Camerus

Phillip V

Afghanistan is giving concessions (legal immunity for American soldiers) that Iraq did not give in 2011.

dps

The problem in Iraq (well, not the only problem) was that we turned power back over to them too quickly.

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on November 20, 2013, 11:41:23 PM
The problem in Iraq (well, not the only problem) was that we turned power back over to them too quickly.
In fairness it's not like Paul Bremer was proving a roaring success.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 20, 2013, 11:42:19 PM
Quote from: dps on November 20, 2013, 11:41:23 PM
In fairness it's not like Paul Bremer was proving a roaring success.

Bremer. :rolleyes:

I had the perfect Sunni Republican Guard general surrogate all picked out and everything, but noooo...we had to go with democracy.  Dubya, you fucking dumbass.

"Tell Tehran what it's won, Johnny!" 
"A new proxy!"

Valmy

Well unless we were planning on annexing it I don't see how we could have credibly held out much longer.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Valmy on November 20, 2013, 11:57:54 PM

Well unless we were planning on annexing it I don't see how we could have credibly held out much longer.

Dude, we still have troops in Germany, and it's been 68 years now.

grumbler

Quote from: Camerus on November 20, 2013, 11:28:02 PM
What's the prognosis on Afghanistan these days anyway?

Karzai remains slightly less of an enemy of the US than the surviving Taliban leadership.  Prognosis:  scattered atrocities and mostly corrupt to the core.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!