News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sci-fi/Fantasy recommendations

Started by Sheilbh, May 30, 2013, 07:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 21, 2013, 02:02:13 PM
Okay. I'll read it anyway. I bought it after loads of people here raved about Stephenson.

I've since been told it's not the best to start with :lol: :(

It's not the best if you are a fan of his earlier science fiction, precisely because it is totally unlike that.

I certainly enjoyed it (though I thought the ending rushed - somewhat of a problem with Stephenson). The two criticisms often level at him are his frequent digressions, and his rushed endings. I like his digressions, for the most part.  Cryptonomicon has a hilarious one about writing a business plan.  ;)

Otherwise, there is a lot to like in it - if you are at all interested in WW2 codebreakers, you will enjoy it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Cryptonimicon is awesome. Just really excellent.

Except the ending. To say it was rushed doesn't even do it justice. It is like Stephenson got to page 1100, realized that he only had a total budget for 1124 pages, and said "Fuck it, they all died, the end!"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on November 21, 2013, 01:58:25 PM
Cryptonomicon isn't science fiction or fantasy. More like straight fiction.

It's sci-fi in the same manner Crichton is- fiction *about* science but set in the real world.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

You like sci-fi with lots of Political stuff? You might like Ken MacLeod. The Star Fraction was his first.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star_Fraction

personally, I could'nt stand it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Ed Anger

Shiela might like all the Trot bullshit in his books though.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Berkut on November 21, 2013, 02:41:01 PM
Cryptonimicon is awesome. Just really excellent.

Except the ending. To say it was rushed doesn't even do it justice. It is like Stephenson got to page 1100, realized that he only had a total budget for 1124 pages, and said "Fuck it, they all died, the end!"
He is a gifted author. The Big U was funny.
PDH!

Scipio

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 21, 2013, 03:35:47 AM
Here's a recommendation I don't think I've seen here.

Perdido Street Station by China Miéville.

Great lovecraftian horror in a steampunk & magic 19th century megalopolis.

Uggh. It's fucking terrible. If you like pretension wrapped in turgid prose, but Pynchon is too concise, I'd agree.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Josquius

QuoteGardens of the Moon and the first 5-6 books of that series each start really slow, but once you get into them can be entertaining. However somewhere mid-series he switches his genre from high fantasy to horror. Sure high fantasy always has a horror element, but it eventually becomes all horror all the the time. I think I stopped reading for good about book 8.

If you like both high fantasy and horror it might be your thing.
Ush, Gardens of the Moon.
I tried to read that one...but it just isn't very well written. Nothing grabs the reader at all.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Quote from: Tyr on November 22, 2013, 06:26:44 AM
QuoteGardens of the Moon and the first 5-6 books of that series each start really slow, but once you get into them can be entertaining. However somewhere mid-series he switches his genre from high fantasy to horror. Sure high fantasy always has a horror element, but it eventually becomes all horror all the the time. I think I stopped reading for good about book 8.

If you like both high fantasy and horror it might be your thing.
Ush, Gardens of the Moon.
I tried to read that one...but it just isn't very well written. Nothing grabs the reader at all.

The first 2-300 pages show clear signs of being someone's first published book, one that could have done with perhaps a bit better editing. It (and the series as a whole) does get a lot better.

I bought "Gardens of the Moon" and "Deadhouse Gates" at the same time, and I must confess that I read and enjoyed "Deadhouse Gates" before I managed to finish "Gardens of the Moon" myself.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."