Monroe Doctrine is Over

Started by Barrister, November 19, 2013, 06:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

QuoteKerry Makes It Official: 'Era of Monroe Doctrine Is Over'

By KEITH JOHNSON
CONNECT

Agence France-Presse/Getty Images
Secretary of State John Kerry speaks on U.S. policy within the Western Hemisphere at the Organization of American States on Nov. 18, 2013 in Washington, D.C. (Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images)

At a time when the Middle East, Afghanistan and China monopolize U.S. foreign-policy, Latin America hasn't received much attention. Until today, that is, when Secretary of State John Kerry declared the expiration of the nearly 200-year old lodestar of U.S. diplomacy in the Americas.

"The era of the Monroe Doctrine is over," Mr. Kerry said in a speech at the Organization of American States in Washington, D.C.

That prompted some tepid applause, which Mr. Kerry encouraged: "That's worth applauding. That's not a bad thing."

Although mainly a statement of the obvious, Mr. Kerry's declaration was welcomed at home and abroad, prompting a social media eruption.

The Monroe Doctrine was meant to keep Europeans out of Latin America in the wake of regional independence movements from Spain. It was later amplified by President Theodore Roosevelt with an eye toward making the U.S. the dominant player in the whole region.

The doctrine underpinned the first century of U.S. involvement overseas. Until World War 1, U.S. foreign-policy interests were overwhelmingly found in Latin America—for good (such as the Panama Canal) and bad (such as the U.S.-supported Panamanian revolution that made the canal possible.)

From a Latin American perspective, the Monroe Doctrine was often seen as a license for the U.S. to intervene at will in countries' internal affairs. As 19th century Mexican strongman Porfirio Diaz put it: "Poor Mexico, so far from God and so close to the United States."

Mr. Kerry expanded upon his remarks, making clear that for the Obama administration, the old paradigm of a Washington-dominated hemisphere is passe.

"The relationship that we seek and that we have worked hard to foster is not about a United States declaration about how and when it will intervene in the affairs of other American states. It's about all of our countries viewing one another as equals, sharing responsibilities, cooperating on security issues, and adhering not to doctrine, but to the decisions that we make as partners to advance the values and the interests that we share," he said.

State Department spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said at a news briefing that Mr. Kerry has made similar remarks in the past. Still, Monday's comments received wide play in the Latin American press. Venezuela's El Universal, for example, noted the "end of the U.S. interventionist policy" in the region. Some read too much into it, mistakenly celebrating the end of the "error" of the Monroe Doctrine (instead of the "era").

Monday's remarks were a contrast to Mr. Kerry's comments in April before Congress, when he said that the U.S. must pay more attention to Latin America because it is in the U.S. "backyard," awakening Latin American ire and fear of a return to a more muscular U.S. approach to the region.

Still and all, the Obama administration's shift on Latin America it isn't entirely new. By giving more leeway to big regional players such as Colombia and Brazil, and not getting too worked up about the anti-American antics of strongmen in Venezuela, Bolivia, and Ecuador, the administration has tried to put U.S.-Latin American relations on a new footing.

And there was a ready-made guide in the last four years of the George W. Bush administration, which started the shift away from a heavy-handed approach to the Americas and a move toward mulitlateral diplomacy.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/11/18/kerry-makes-it-official-era-of-monroe-doctrine-is-over/

I predict certain parties here will be displeased.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Also don't states like Venezuela already suffer from delusions that they are our equals?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Now France can invade Mexico again.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 19, 2013, 06:30:24 PM
Now France can invade Mexico again.

Squeelus will be displeased when there's a Habsburg on the throne again.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

Be available, but infuriating ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

I have much less problem with Kerry signaling no more interference in domestic politics than i do with him misusing and slurring the Monroe Doctrine.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

We can "lose" weapons across the Rio Grande again...

OH WAIT
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2013, 06:40:45 PM
I have much less problem with Kerry signaling no more interference in domestic politics than i do with him misusing and slurring the Monroe Doctrine.

It upsets me that the Monroe Doctrine (as promulgated by JM himself) is confused with the Roosevelt Corollary and Kerry just accepts the BS interpretation of the MD promulgated by Chavistas in the South America.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

:bleeding:  If we had only gotten my gal Susan Rice in there as SecState, we'd have avoided this silliness.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

The impotant gnashing of teeth fills me with glee.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2013, 09:05:12 PM
The impotant gnashing of teeth fills me with glee.

Too funny.  Toss out the occasional PR bone to the little brown pipples to make them feel better as we go on about our business of ignoring them until we don't want to, and people actually take it seriously.