And we're back!

Main Menu

Why does Shakespeare love Italians?

Started by Queequeg, November 19, 2013, 04:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on November 19, 2013, 05:00:11 PM
I thought it was three things:

3. The English, and probably Shakespeare himself, knew jack and shit about Italy and thus could pretty much write whatever he wanted without somebody claiming no Milanese family was ever named Capulet.

Is this the case, by that time Italy had become rather popular and the habit of the upper classes to make culture visits to the peninsular was establishing itself.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

The Italian city states may have made a good stand in England and London in particular.  They are mercantile and maritime and they weren't in direct competition to English power.  Writing about a Northern European power could be dangerous, you never knew how politics was going to turn.  Italy was fairly safe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Contemporary Englishmen viewed Italy much the same way anime obsessed wapanese losers view Japan today.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on November 19, 2013, 09:30:03 PM
Contemporary Englishmen viewed Italy much the same way anime obsessed wapanese losers view Japan today.

ROR.

garbon

That seems unlikely.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Shakespeare was not a loser.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."