News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So my dad just lost his job.

Started by Razgovory, November 18, 2013, 04:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

I'm going to develop an Android app that bans smartasses without having to log in as a mod.

Grey Fox

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2013, 09:39:16 PM
I'm going to develop an Android app that bans smartasses without having to log in as a mod.

Well, not you obviously but his dad could develop a drawing app for tooddlers with google ads & he might be able to not lose his home.

Do you know how many ads my daughter clicks on everytime she plays a game?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

"Hey, everybody!  Be a self-employed entrepreneur!  It's the French-Canadian way!  Even the word is French!"

That said, I guess it's not the worst idea.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Sorry to hear, Raz. I hope things will look up soon. :console:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2013, 09:35:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 18, 2013, 09:15:19 PM
He is (was) a computer programer.

It may not be at the wages he once had, but I don't think he'll have a problem finding a job.

Unless he's been doing it all this time without getting any industrial certifications because he didn't need them as he's worked with the technology since it came into existence, like somebody else I know.

That's exactly what he did.  In fact, he worked in programing on mainframes and never really learned PC stuff.  He knows thing like COBOL.  He was just a clerk working for the state of Missouri when they asked if he'd like to be a programer.  He said, "sure, why not?"  This was 1983.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Uh oh, mainframes. If it's any consolation, I was called by a recruiter if I had any experience with mainframes and terminal emulation;  still plenty of them (read: government) out there.

Zanza

Mainframe programming and COBOL are actually quite in demand skills. Lots of stuff that needs zero downtime or high security is still running on mainframes, like core banking or air control or so.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2013, 01:01:15 AM
Uh oh, mainframes. If it's any consolation, I was called by a recruiter if I had any experience with mainframes and terminal emulation;  still plenty of them (read: government) out there.
I work on mainframe every day. :unsure:

Razgovory

My dad is taking it surprisingly well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Tamas

Experience with mainframes doesn`t sound hopeless, especially in such a huge country, if you are able/willing to move for a job I guess.

I am sorry Raz, in your family`s situation this must be really tough. Have you considered finding an employment? Even if you need to/decide to give it up later, or never find any, due to your issues, it may mean a lot for your Dad in this situation that he sees you going out of your way to help the situation.

P.S. My dad`s birthday is also on Wednesday :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tamas on November 19, 2013, 05:35:20 AM
Experience with mainframes doesn`t sound hopeless, especially in such a huge country, if you are able/willing to move for a job I guess.

Yeah, that's the kicker. Probably not a lot a lot of jobs in Jefferson City.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Zanza on November 19, 2013, 01:06:28 AM
Mainframe programming and COBOL are actually quite in demand skills. Lots of stuff that needs zero downtime or high security is still running on mainframes, like core banking or air control or so.
:yes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

OttoVonBismarck

Yup, at least in my little slice of Fedland if you are a mainframe programmer there is an automatic adjustment (upward) to your baseline pay when you're hired on. So if a job opening is for a certain programmer classification, but you're expected to do mainframe programming, it automatically has an adjusted payscale versus one that doesn't. It's a very in demand skill.

What happened with mainframes is by and large they (and the lesser mentioned mid-range machines) were basically all of the computing industry at one point. If you were a programmer you worked on those machines, period. When that changed, it went from being a skill that everyone doing programming needed to one that sort of segmented you out from the faster growing fields in doing desktop development. But honestly mainframes aren't going anywhere, IBM got scared shitless that was happening and in the early 1990s had mostly already gotten deep into their turn into services and other offerings because they were afraid of being tied to mainframes. But the reality is the development of powerful servers, workstations, desktops etc has not replaced mainframes. Corporations still tend to buy them, and they aren't going anywhere. At this point even IBM (which for years predicted a decline publicly) is saying they don't expect their mainframe business to go anywhere, although they do expect cyclical declines/increases in sales.

A lot of people I work with assume the mainframe systems we (as users) work on every day are running on ancient hardware. The reality is, while parts of the code base date back to the 60s I know (as I was involved in the purchasing decisions) the mainframe itself is from the IBM z9 range, it's a relatively new (2000s) era machine. I think part of the perception that these are old machines is the limited color and such on the display when you log in for a terminal session, but that's solely configuration choices and the system looks like it's from the 70s because they're afraid the people who have actually worked on it since the 70s would fall over dead if you added too much color to a menu or etc.