News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP David Eddings

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2009, 02:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

The Lord of the Rings isnt dense.  To be dense, meaning would have to be packed into every sentence and paragraph making it difficult to immediately fully understand  without at least some contemplation.

The piece Grumbler posted some time ago was dense.  The Lord of the Rings is just long but the sentence structure and the prose is pretty easy even if just skimming the words.

Eddings' books were good mind candy.  Short easy straight forward stories that could be read in an afternoon.  For what they were I enjoyed them.

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on June 03, 2009, 02:58:52 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 03, 2009, 02:32:53 PM
He was a good entry-level fantasy author.  LOTR, while great, is too dense for most junior-high kids.
Quite understandable.  I was too old for the Ender or Diskworld books when they came out as well, but the fact that I didn't care for them doesn't mean that they were not good.

OtOH, I read the Lord of the Rings in the summer between my fourth and fifth grade school years, so I may not be a typical reader, either.  :P
See, everyone is different in that respect.  When I was little I would read all sorts of classical literature, but as soon as the hobbits started singing in LOTR I just couldn't keep going.  I was in my teens before I went back and finished it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 03, 2009, 03:06:27 PM
Heh.  The Belgariad adn the Elenium are decent fantasy.  He goes off the rails when he blatantly and unapologetically re-writes them over again, several times in the case of the Belgariad.  The later books, like the Elder Gods were terrible.
The Elenium is also the Belgariad re-written.  In fact, when he writes the Malloreon, he even writes the repetitive storyline into the story.  And then he writes the Elenium and Tamuli as prequels to his first two series.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 03, 2009, 03:10:16 PM
The piece Grumbler posted some time ago was dense. 
Which piece was that (just curious)?  Something I wrote, or something I just quoted?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on June 03, 2009, 03:20:08 PM
See, everyone is different in that respect.  When I was little I would read all sorts of classical literature, but as soon as the hobbits started singing in LOTR I just couldn't keep going.  I was in my teens before I went back and finished it.
I think it wasn't until maybe my third read-through of LotR that I actually read, vice simply skipping, the songs!  :lol:

You have to actually say them aloud to really appreciate them, and then you discover that they are actually pretty good.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

I've probably read the LotR ten times, but I don't think I've *ever* read every single word. There are entire paragraphs (not to mention the songs) that get blazed right through...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on June 03, 2009, 03:41:15 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 03, 2009, 03:20:08 PM
I think it wasn't until maybe my third read-through of LotR that I actually read, vice simply skipping, the songs!  :lol:

You have to actually say them aloud to really appreciate them, and then you discover that they are actually pretty good.

To this day I skip the songs and poems...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

I read everything in LOTR the first time, never considered not doing it. My cock is pretty big.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 03, 2009, 03:39:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 03, 2009, 03:10:16 PM
The piece Grumbler posted some time ago was dense. 
Which piece was that (just curious)?  Something I wrote, or something I just quoted?

http://languish.org/forums/index.php?topic=414.0

A thread that shows how good Languish can be.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on June 03, 2009, 03:48:33 PM
My cock is pretty big.

If we reduce that by the usual internet exaggeration factor of 10 then.....

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 03, 2009, 03:52:37 PM

http://languish.org/forums/index.php?topic=414.0

A thread that shows how good Languish can be.
Ah.  Thanks for the cite.  I agree that the poem is incredbly densely written, which is one of its charms.

Jabberwocky is another dense poem.  In that case, though, the words don't just seem to be made up!  :lol:

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 03, 2009, 03:53:34 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 03, 2009, 03:48:33 PM
My cock is pretty big.

If we reduce that by the usual internet exaggeration factor of 10 then.....

My cock is tiny.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

I only care about your e-peen.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on June 03, 2009, 03:41:15 PM
And that is when you realize they are actually songs...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Legbiter

Quote from: Neil on June 03, 2009, 02:32:53 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 03, 2009, 02:28:42 PM
I only read his first book (a direct ripoff of Lord of the Rings), but it sounds like he lived long and prospered.  RIP
He was a good entry-level fantasy author.  LOTR, while great, is too dense for most junior-high kids.

Yep.

His books about Sparhawk saving princess Ehlana from her crystal sphere while later boinking her constituted as great literature for this 13 year old at the time.

He's second only to Leisure Suit Larry 1 in teaching me the finer points of the English language.  :lol:

Ken sent me. :mellow:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.