News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

RIP David Eddings

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2009, 02:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

I only read his first book (a direct ripoff of Lord of the Rings), but it sounds like he lived long and prospered.  RIP
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

I read somewhere that he wrote his books out long hand and didn't use a typewriter or a computer.

I'd last 2 pages doing that. He must of had a grip of steel.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on June 03, 2009, 02:28:42 PM
I only read his first book (a direct ripoff of Lord of the Rings), but it sounds like he lived long and prospered.  RIP
He was a good entry-level fantasy author.  LOTR, while great, is too dense for most junior-high kids.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 03, 2009, 02:31:43 PM
I read somewhere that he wrote his books out long hand and didn't use a typewriter or a computer.

Clearly you've never had to write 5 hour long law exams at college. Cafeeinated chocolate, plus strong coffee with loads of sugar helped speed up the hand.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on June 03, 2009, 02:36:30 PM

Clearly you've never had to write 5 hour long law exams at college. Cafeeinated chocolate, plus strong coffee with loads of sugar helped speed up the hand.

I wrote some long ass papers out in High School. I never want to to that shit again. My hands are instruments of godly might, not a scribe's hands.

jimmy olsen

You sir, are correct. Was that somewhere perhaps the article I linked to?

QuoteEddings was famously old-fashioned, never using a typewriter or computer (he wrote out his scripts in long-hand) and was well-known for being self-effacing, once remarking, "I'm never going to be in danger of getting a Nobel Prize for literature.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on June 03, 2009, 02:36:30 PM

They gave me a laptop for my Master's exam. ^_^

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 03, 2009, 02:38:08 PM

You sir, are correct. Was that somewhere perhaps the article I linked to?

I don't read your articles.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on June 03, 2009, 02:32:53 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 03, 2009, 02:28:42 PM
He was a good entry-level fantasy author.  LOTR, while great, is too dense for most junior-high kids.

Agree.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on June 03, 2009, 02:32:53 PM
Quite understandable.  I was too old for the Ender or Diskworld books when they came out as well, but the fact that I didn't care for them doesn't mean that they were not good.

OtOH, I read the Lord of the Rings in the summer between my fourth and fifth grade school years, so I may not be a typical reader, either.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

Yes.  I re-read his Elenium not too long ago, I loaded it onto my phone to read while bored.

His later stuff was sadly lame, but he was good for what he did.  Sad.
PDH!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 03, 2009, 02:58:58 PM
Yes.  I re-read his Elenium not too long ago, I loaded it onto my phone to read while bored.

His later stuff was sadly lame, but he was good for what he did.  Sad.

I picked up the Belgariad books recently since the SFBC was nagging me to fulfill my requirements. It still wasn't bad.

It wasn't like reading the Elric books and wondering what the fuck I found so interesting about them all those years ago.

Darth Wagtaros

Heh.  The Belgariad adn the Elenium are decent fantasy.  He goes off the rails when he blatantly and unapologetically re-writes them over again, several times in the case of the Belgariad.  The later books, like the Elder Gods were terrible.
PDH!