News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you recommend your college major?

Started by Savonarola, November 13, 2013, 07:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you recommend your college major to someone who was interested in the field?

Yes
21 (52.5%)
No
19 (47.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on November 13, 2013, 07:57:03 PM
I saw a sign at one of the local for-profit universities that said "Bachelors of Homeland Security."  It took me a minute to realize that was a major, and not an advertisement for a saucy revue for the ladies.

Yup, it's all the rage now.  I LOL.

Ed Anger

The local cops all laugh at the Fortis College cop wannabes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

If they want to teach, yes. Otherwise, no.

So, unequivocally maybe.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadImmortalMan

If they were intent on going to college I would recommend my major as a decent choice. It's STEM-tastic.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Savonarola

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 13, 2013, 08:16:32 PM
If they were intent on going to college I would recommend my major as a decent choice. It's STEM-tastic.

What was your major, MiM?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Savonarola on November 13, 2013, 08:20:47 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 13, 2013, 08:16:32 PM

What was your major, MiM?

Seedy's favorite. Information Technology.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 13, 2013, 08:00:21 PM
The local cops all laugh at the Fortis College cop wannabes.

I love the bulletins from the always vigilant, totally bored and therefore completely overzealous campus police:

CRIME ALERT: Off CAMPUS –POSSIBLE ARMED SUBJECT 
SUBJECT DESCRIPTION:  Black Male, Tall, Thin wearing all dark clothing. Possibly armed with a handgun. He was last seen running near XXXXX.

Before:

After:

Siege

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 13, 2013, 07:57:30 PM
Quote from: Siege on November 13, 2013, 07:53:39 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 13, 2013, 07:51:44 PM
Quote from: Siege on November 13, 2013, 07:50:29 PM
What about Homeland Security as a major?
Is it worth it?

Your not watching those commercials from a for profit college, are you? DON'T BE SUCKERED BY THEM.

AMU. American Military University.
It is covered by the Army's Tuition Assistance program.

Should I bother with Homeland Security or should I go with General History as was my intention.

While that is way outside my cone of knowledge, this old thread:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/738256-have-any-current-govt-defense-contract.html
http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/showthread.php?5669-American-Military-University

Might help.

Whoa, thank you. Very helpful.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ed Anger

No problemo. I know I've gave you shit over the years Siege but it was like an older brother rubbing your face in dog poo. I want the best for you kid.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Ha, my brother's major was anthro and mine was history. :lol:

I work in IT now and he works in telecom compliance.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on November 13, 2013, 10:32:38 PM
Ha, my brother's major was anthro and mine was history. :lol:

I work in IT now and he works in telecom compliance.

We're like the Borg.  We suck you in, even when you don't come from the major. :P
Experience bij!

PDH

Well, I have two history degrees and I still manage to teach one class a semester in history.  Still, I don't do history for a living as I never got my PhD.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

No.
Computing is useless.
I should have studied history or the like. Easy but interesting. I would likely have better grades as that is all that actually matters.
██████
██████
██████

fhdz

Major: English Literature and Composition.

I would have read and written regardless. And I might have had to deal with twats wearing elbow patches on their tweed jackets, but they wouldn't have been the Chair of my department.

So: without question, I regret my major.

If I had a Wayback Machine, I might have majored in Geography instead and tried for a career in surveying or GIS cartography.
and the horse you rode in on

viper37

Of course I would. There are great jobs in market finance, corporate finance, research finance and any field related to business administration.  It's a definite yes.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.