News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World’s First 3D Printed Metal Gun

Started by jimmy olsen, November 09, 2013, 09:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

A very impressive achievement

Pics and two videos (one of the gun and another of a 3d metal printer) can be found here.
http://blog.solidconcepts.com/industry-highlights/worlds-first-3d-printed-metal-gun/
QuoteLet me start out by saying one, very important thing: This is not about desktop 3D Printers.

Solid Concepts is a world leader of 3D Printing services, and our ability to 3D Print the world's first metal gun solidifies our standing. The gun is a classic 1911, a model that is at once timeless and public domain. It functions beautifully: Our resident gun expert has fired 50 successful rounds and hit a few bull's eyes at over 30 yards. The gun is composed of 30+ 3D Printed components with 17-4 Stainless Steel and Inconel 625 materials. We completed it with a Selective Laser Sintered (SLS) 3D Printed hand grip, because we're kind of crazy about 3D Printing.

The whole concept of using a laser sintering process to 3D Print a metal gun revolves around proving the reliability, accuracy and usability of 3D Metal Printing as functional prototypes and end use products," says Solid Concepts' Vice President of Additive Manufacturing Kent Firestone. "It's a common misconception that laser sintering isn't accurate or strong enough, and we're working to change people's perspective."

3D Printed Metal Gun Components Disassembled Low Res

Another common misconception about 3D Printing is that it's limited to desktop printers that can only extrude plastic filament. If I had the time, I would do a complete yearlong series debunking all the myths and misconceptions surrounding 3D Printing. Instead, our engineers went ahead and built something that proves this technology beyond any doubt. So long sad disfigured Yoda heads, no more pretending like that's going to cut it for this industry.

Laser sintering is one of the most accurate manufacturing processes available, and more than accurate enough to build the 3D Metal Printed interchangeable and interfacing parts within our 1911 series gun. The gun proves laser sintering can meet tight tolerances. 3D Metal Printing has less porosity issues than an investment cast part and better complexities than a machined part. The barrel sees chamber pressure above 20,000 psi every time the gun is fired.  "We're proving this is possible, the technology is at a place now where we can manufacture a gun with 3D Printing," says Firestone. "As far as we know, we're the only 3D Printing Service Provider with a Federal Firearms License (FFL). Now, if a qualifying customer needs a unique gun part in five days, we can deliver."

I mentioned earlier this isn't about desktop printers, and it's not. The industrial printer we used costs more than my college tuition (and I went to a private university) and the engineers who run our machines are top of the line; they are experts who know what they're doing and understand 3D Printing better than anyone in this business. Thanks to them, Solid Concepts is debunking the idea that 3D Printing isn't a viable solution or isn't ready for mainstream manufacturing. We have the right materials, and the right engineers who know how to best program and maintain these machines, to make 3D Printing accurate, powerful and here to stay.

Update

We've been getting a lot of questions (which is lovely) so I wanted to address a few of them here.

The gun is 45ACP. It's rifled and the rifling was built directly into the part – or as we like to say, "grown" into the part – using 3D Printing. This gun has NOT BEEN MACHINED. We used hand tools for some post processing (our finishers are wonderful), but we did not machine this gun. It's born this way.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

It looks almost exactly like my 1911. Impressive.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

I've never before heard an M1911 referred to as just a "1911."  Is this a common thing among gunophiles?  Are there other weapons for which they drop the "M"?  Serious question.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

I notice that no mention is made of the cost of this weapon.  Anyone else get the vibe that the company wants to talk about capabilities as a come-on but knows that the price would scare any potential customers away?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on November 09, 2013, 03:42:59 PM
I've never before heard an M1911 referred to as just a "1911."  Is this a common thing among gunophiles?  Are there other weapons for which they drop the "M"?  Serious question.

Yes. Also called a Forty-five, but 1911 is common. I have an M1991, but folks call it a 1911, which is wrong.

Other gun abbreviations...
Ought-Six
Krag

etc
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on November 09, 2013, 03:46:49 PM
I notice that no mention is made of the cost of this weapon.  Anyone else get the vibe that the company wants to talk about capabilities as a come-on but knows that the price would scare any potential customers away?

This quote implies the machine cost at least $200,000. What the means for the price of the products produced, I don't know.

I mentioned earlier this isn't about desktop printers, and it's not. The industrial printer we used costs more than my college tuition (and I went to a private university) and the engineers who run our machines are top of the line; they are experts who know what they're doing and understand 3D Printing better than anyone in this business. Thanks to them, Solid Concepts is debunking the idea that 3D Printing isn't a viable solution or isn't ready for mainstream manufacturing.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I'm tired of morons calling this '3D printing'.  This isn't a 3D printer.  It's a replicator.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

I'd wager 80%+ of the masses think, when they see this type of story (and don't bother to read it), that they are instantly printing a complete, functional firearm...instead of just all the parts, which still require finishing and assembly.

PDH

Hell, 90% of the masses think that steak comes from the store and not from a cow...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Siege

TL,DR.

What's this? A new way to make weapons?

Or is it some art bullshit? Is this a fully functional firearm?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Iormlund

It might be a marketing thing. It probably won't make much sense to use this kind of tech in large scale manufacturing, but the publicity of making a gun might get them sales in their niche: complex, metal, limited-run production.

The Brain

I don't know what simple mechanical prototypes usually cost.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PDH on November 09, 2013, 09:09:23 PM
Hell, 90% of the masses think that steak comes from the store and not from a cow...

Peaches come from a can. They were put there by a man in a factory downtown.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Vricklund

Quote from: Iormlund on November 10, 2013, 04:12:26 AM

It might be a marketing thing. It probably won't make much sense to use this kind of tech in large scale manufacturing, but the publicity of making a gun might get them sales in their niche: complex, metal, limited-run production.
That's the while point, 3d printing is for making a one of a kind product without the need for massproduction to drive down the cost. A reasonably priced product tailored to your specific need. I think it will revolutionize production in the future, it will be the return of the artisan.