News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is the answer to the Fermi Paradox?

Started by jimmy olsen, November 04, 2013, 08:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the answer to the Fermi Paradox?

Evolution of Life is extremely rare
3 (10.3%)
Evolution of Intelligent Life is extremely rare
8 (27.6%)
Intelligent Life destroys itself soon after it becomes able to do so
6 (20.7%)
An Ancient space faring civilization destroys new advanced species
2 (6.9%)
Interstellar travel and communication are both impossible
6 (20.7%)
Other - Please Explain
4 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Caliga

This thread started out interesting. :(

Unfortunately it was started by Tim who has a boner about LOL DINOSORES too, so he lacked the requisite outrage in order to get it back on track.  :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Anyway, re: Fermi Paradox:  What if all intelligent civilizations eventually develop their own version of 'the Matrix' and that's why we don't hear them?  Maybe they're all living in a virtual universe and have no interest in the real universe?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Ed Anger

I haven't read a science book since 8th grade. I remember when Jupiter had 9 moons, you whippersnappers!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 11, 2013, 08:27:19 PM
I haven't read a science book since 8th grade. I remember when Jupiter had 9 moons, you whippersnappers!

I think that would make you the oldest member of our board since 10th moon was discovered in the 1930's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2013, 08:55:06 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 11, 2013, 08:27:19 PM

I think that would make you the oldest member of our board since 10th moon was discovered in the 1930's.

MAH MEMORY
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

somebody found the "edit picture" function!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

PDH

Siege, shouldn't these be in the "I'm drunk on Miller Lite" thread?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

I randomly had a case of miller lite in my fridge. Never got more than a polite buzz. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Hopefully Siege does write a book based on his own experiences.  Then he can sell the rights to Hollywood, with Will Smith cast as Siege.  Then Siegy can do the circuit convention and meet losers who cosplay as him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on November 11, 2013, 09:10:18 PM
I randomly had a case of miller lite in my fridge. Never got more than a polite buzz. :(

Well he said he had 18 of them in a sitting. Sounds pretty excessive to me.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?