News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

American Nations

Started by Jacob, November 06, 2013, 04:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

If I thought Tufts was a legit institution, I might care what's published in THEIR FUCKING ALUMNI MAGAZINE.

Also, for a supposed scholar, he fails to distinguish WI and MI from Yankeedom, in that they allow broadly deregulated concealed carry and gun rights.

I'm not sure, but I think he may be credentialed, and not, you know, educated.

And he certainly has a fairly condescending world view: "The Far West's people are often resentful of their dependent status, feeling that they have been exploited as an internal colony for the benefit of the seaboard nations. Their senators led the fight against trusts in the mid-twentieth century. Of late, Far Westerners have focused their anger on the federal government, rather than their corporate masters."

But, whatever. He's got some awards, and shit. I'm sure he's lived in many different places, among many different people, and so he must have a diverse experience of life.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Jacob

Razgovory

I'm willing to guess that the people of Alberta are not a great deal like the people of Nevada.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on November 06, 2013, 09:49:44 PM
I'm willing to guess that the people of Alberta are not a great deal like the people of Nevada.

I think he was just up on a deadline & realized he hadn't filled out the map entirely, and just decided to call everything else The Far West.  Spot on about their Corporate Masters, though.  Those Far West dolts don't realize who's really oppressing them!!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on November 06, 2013, 10:11:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 06, 2013, 09:49:44 PM

I think he was just up on a deadline & realized he hadn't filled out the map entirely, and just decided to call everything else The Far West.  Spot on about their Corporate Masters, though.  Those Far West dolts don't realize who's really oppressing them!!

Better or worse than being called "The Empty Quarter"?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

QuoteAlso, for a supposed scholar, he fails to distinguish WI and MI from Yankeedom, in that they allow broadly deregulated concealed carry and gun rights.
Don't Maine and New Hampshire have high ownership rates?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Queequeg on November 07, 2013, 06:04:14 PM

QuoteAlso, for a supposed scholar, he fails to distinguish WI and MI from Yankeedom, in that they allow broadly deregulated concealed carry and gun rights.
Don't Maine and New Hampshire have high ownership rates?

Vermont has virtually zero gun laws.  Having a loaded rifle in the car is a Fish and Game violation, and suppressors are illegal.  Otherwise, anybody can carry, concealed or not, anywhere it's not specifically posted as illegal (e.g. a courthouse).

Maine and N.H. have slightly stricter laws, but still very little regulation.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Queequeg

Yeah.  My main objection would be that I think the upper Mid-West is quite a bit more religious these days, more conservative, and more Scandinavian or German.  I don't think gun ownership is a whole lot different given the outdoor penchant of both regions.   
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."