Main Menu

American Nations

Started by Jacob, November 06, 2013, 04:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

It could be interesting to impose the soda map on Yakie's map. :nerd:

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2013, 04:24:06 PM

Edit: Actually I've read people who say if Edward VI had lived England would've gone a lot more like Sweden :mellow:

What? How?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

And I always get Shadowrun vibes with these maps.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Savonarola on November 06, 2013, 04:32:15 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 06, 2013, 04:19:48 PM
I'm New Dutch!  :w00t: :ccr

D van Guller:  These blueberries are too expensive.  I suspect that the Midlanders, who reject our notions of top down government intervention, are charging exorbitant tariffs on the blueberry supply routes.
:mad: Damn Midlanders.  :mad:

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Brain on November 06, 2013, 04:35:01 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2013, 04:24:06 PM

Edit: Actually I've read people who say if Edward VI had lived England would've gone a lot more like Sweden :mellow:

What? How?
By the end he was involved in government and the ministers he around him were very Protestant, and his own upbringing was evangelical. They were also interested in European intervention and, broadly, the army.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on November 06, 2013, 04:42:02 PM

Dumb Dutchman.  Blueberries are grown in the Northeast.

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on November 06, 2013, 04:32:15 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 06, 2013, 04:19:48 PM
I'm New Dutch!  :w00t: :ccr

D van Guller:  These blueberries are too expensive.  I suspect that the Midlanders, who reject our notions of top down government intervention, are charging exorbitant tariffs on the blueberry supply routes.

You must convince your allies in Yankeedom to use their Communal Empowerment ability to smite the Midlanders.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2013, 04:44:39 PM

Dumb Dutchman.  Blueberries are grown in the Northeast.

Not this time of year; the New Dutchmen are dependent on the slave power of the Deep South for their supply of delicious blueberries.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2013, 04:34:38 PM
It could be interesting to impose the soda map on Yakie's map. :nerd:
The soda map is probably more related to the history of soda companies and their marketing/advertising than to anything connected to ethnography.  I assume for example that 'Coke' is predominant in the south because Coca-Cola was dominant in the south for a long time.  It might be that post-introduction of soda, the terms for soda were influenced by population movements however. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2013, 04:51:36 PM
The soda map is probably more related to the history of soda companies and their marketing/advertising than to anything connected to ethnography.  I assume for example that 'Coke' is predominant in the south because Coca-Cola was dominant in the south for a long time.  It might be that post-introduction of soda, the terms for soda were influenced by population movements however. :hmm:

I don't see how soda company marketing would affect the use of soda vs. pop.

Unless you're claiming certain companies used those terms in their marketing.  :hmm:

Caliga

:yes:

I'm not 'claiming' that so much as I am speculating about that.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Any "culture map" that has arbitrary internal lines being more significant than our national borders is immediately suspect.

Also it reminds me of those red state/blue state things. "53% of the population over here support X, while only 46% of the population over there support it. ZOMG, Culture Clash!"
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 06, 2013, 04:32:17 PM
Just go ahead and post the soda map

I am not sure why people would have a map for baking soda, but I have seen a pop map.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2013, 07:38:58 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 06, 2013, 04:32:17 PM
Just go ahead and post the soda map

I am not sure why people would have a map for baking soda, but I have seen a pop map.

Ugh, Canada!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall