Started by The Minsky Moment, November 06, 2013, 02:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on March 18, 2015, 07:38:34 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2015, 07:34:51 AM
Though, they don't seem to be blocking any roads...:huh:

It kind of looks like they piled up a bunch of shit in the middle of the road and lit it on fire to me. That strikes me as a possible obstacle on German Mono's commute.

From Bild :)

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2015, 07:34:51 AM
Though, they don't seem to be blocking any roads...:huh:

Zanza

Unlike Mono I consider this a necessary evil of democracy. I rather have few burned police cars and hurt police officers occasionally due to idiots rioting than limiting the right to protest against whatever grievance one can think of.

Syt

A police speaker says it's "a new quality of violence." Some former police have replied, "Meh, we've had MUCH worse in the past." (Personally, I think the protests against nuclear power/weapons in the 80s or the between left scene and police in Hamburg's Hafenstraße were bigger/worse than this.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on March 18, 2015, 01:07:15 PM
Unlike Mono I consider this a necessary evil of democracy. I rather have few burned police cars and hurt police officers occasionally due to idiots rioting than limiting the right to protest against whatever grievance one can think of.

I don't see the conflict.  The right to burn cop cars and hurt cops is limited.  The right to protest peacefully is not.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on March 18, 2015, 04:46:10 AM
See, mono, this is a riot:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31938592

QuoteGermany riot in Frankfurt targets new ECB headquarters

Dozens of people have been hurt and some 350 people arrested as anti-austerity demonstrators clashed with police in the German city of Frankfurt.

Police cars were set alight and stones were thrown in a protest against the opening of a new base for the European Central Bank (ECB).

Violence broke out close to the city's Alte Oper concert hall hours before the building's official opening.

Thousands of "Blockupy" activists were due to take part in a rally.

Organisers were bringing a left-wing alliance of protesters from across Germany and the rest of Europe to voice their anger at the ECB's role in austerity measures in EU member states, most recently Greece.

Police set up a cordon of barbed wire outside the bank's new 185m (600ft) double-tower skyscraper, next to the River Main.

But hopes of a peaceful rally were dashed as clashes began early on Wednesday.

Tyres and rubbish bins were set alight and police responded with water cannon as firefighters complained they were unable to get to the fires to put them out.

Police spokeswoman Claudia Rogalski spoke of an "aggressive atmosphere".

The ECB's new headquarters cost an estimated €1.3bn (£930m; $1.4bn) to build and is the new home for thousands of central bankers.

Damn those Muslims!  Another failure of MultiCulti! :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

What about when the Muslims slaughtered the people of Amorium?  Were they failures of multiculti then?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

All rioters in free countries should fucking hang. Stick to legal means, faggots.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on March 18, 2015, 04:46:10 AM

That demonstration was clearly Not carbon neutral.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

What was the appeal of homestar runner?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 18, 2015, 01:57:39 PM
What about when the Muslims slaughtered the people of Amorium?  Were they failures of multiculti then?

I don't know where Amorium is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2015, 07:08:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 18, 2015, 01:57:39 PM

I don't know where Amorium is.

Central Anatolia, IIRC.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

Well shouldn't it be was?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.