Thinking of one of those portable music player thingies.

Started by Razgovory, November 05, 2013, 03:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Actually I don't know what they are called anymore.  Doctor says I really should get some exercise and start taking walks everyday.  I figured it would be more bearable if listened to some music while I did it.  Instead of digging out my old Walkman and finding out that nobody sells cassettes anymore I thought I'd buy one of those computer ones.  Like the Ipod or whatever else is on the market.  Looking for something fairly inexpensive that I get music on without much hassle and can carry around easily.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadBurgerMaker

Do you already have an iTunes account with music on it and all that?

E:  Well, either way, some version of the iPod is probably your best bet for ease of use, and they aren't all that expensive either.

Barrister

Seriously, Apple controls something like 80-90% of the personal music player market.

How much you want to spend?  You can buy an iPod Touch for $200+, and you've got a whole mini-tablet in your pocket as well as a music player, or you can get a Shuffle for $50 (not sure the Nano provides good value at $150+ when compared to the Touch).

I think you can also go down to the local electronics store and get a no-name MP3 player for around $20 these days.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I like the idea of Apples store, where I could just download the music directly from them.  That sounds easy.  I am worried about cost though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on November 05, 2013, 04:18:36 PM
I like the idea of Apples store, where I could just download the music directly from them.  That sounds easy.  I am worried about cost though.

Most songs are $0.99.  You can rip any CDs you have for free.

There are means of stealing music off the web, but I don't endorse those.  Talk to Tamas.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I'm not interested in stealing. :)  I am willing to pay.

mongers

Raz why not try one of these;

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPT7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383696088&sr=8-1&keywords=sandisk+clip+plus

Modestly priced, good sound quality, various colours/capacities and the memory is expandable with micro-sd cards. 

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on November 05, 2013, 04:06:27 PM
(not sure the Nano provides good value at $150+ when compared to the Touch).

How long does the battery on the touch last though? Is it more like the phone?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadBurgerMaker

The battery on my Touch is back to being pretty good now after a patch.  Instead of completely draining with maybe an hour of use or about 6 hours on standby with no use, it's only down to about 70% after a day (10-12 hours, I guess) of not being charged and with some use.

It isn't like it used to be pre-iOS7, but it's acceptable.

Tonitrus

If you don't care much about controlling the music while you walk, I think the iPod shuffle is a good buy.  Small, cheap, and can clip to your clothes.  Batter life is pretty good.

You can also buy music from Amazon and it can funnel the purchased music right to iTunes.  A Nano might be good too, and while I am not sure, it might be able to pick up FM radio as well.

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 05, 2013, 08:17:16 PM
You can also buy music from Amazon and it can funnel the purchased music right to iTunes.  A Nano might be good too, and while I am not sure, it might be able to pick up FM radio as well.

Yeah I have the nano and it has an FM radio (that's actually what I used during Sandy last year to find out if it was safe to leave my powerless apartment :)). I generally purchase most of my music through amazon.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

I am guessing you don't have a smartphone?

Can the Kindle Fire play music? You have one of those, no?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadBurgerMaker

Seems like it'd be a pain to carry around a Kindle Fire while exercising. 

garbon

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 05, 2013, 08:34:27 PM

Right? The appeal of the nano is it is so small.

And no GF - I do have the one from work but again battery life is a concern.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2013, 08:48:37 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 05, 2013, 08:34:27 PM

Right? The appeal of the nano is it is so small.

And no GF - I do have the one from work but again battery life is a concern.

I was asking Raz but all modern gizmos have piss poor battery life & need to be charged daily.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.