Thinking of one of those portable music player thingies.

Started by Razgovory, November 05, 2013, 03:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 05, 2013, 10:47:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2013, 08:48:37 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 05, 2013, 08:34:27 PM
Seems like it'd be a pain to carry around a Kindle Fire while exercising. 

Right? The appeal of the nano is it is so small.

And no GF - I do have the one from work but again battery life is a concern.

I was asking Raz but all modern gizmos have piss poor battery life & need to be charged daily.

Ah gotcha. I'd wager the simple mp3 players aren't that way - particularly that shuffle.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Vricklund

I use my smartphone and spotify. For on the go listening I could never go back to the hassle of mp3s again. Battery drain is perfectly acceptable as long as I don't fiddle too much with the screen.

Razgovory

I actually like the idea of a curated store, like Apple has.  I'm already signed up with Amazon through my Kindle, If I could use something that would download music from amazon, that would be great.  I would go with Apple but the price for the hardware seems... excessive.  If all else fails, I'll go with the Shuffle.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: mongers on November 05, 2013, 07:16:08 PM
Raz why not try one of these;

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPT7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383696088&sr=8-1&keywords=sandisk+clip+plus

Modestly priced, good sound quality, various colours/capacities and the memory is expandable with micro-sd cards.

I have one of those for my commute to work (don't need to listen to annoying people's phone calls at 8 am) and it's good for that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on November 13, 2013, 08:38:10 AM
Quote from: mongers on November 05, 2013, 07:16:08 PM
Raz why not try one of these;

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPT7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383696088&sr=8-1&keywords=sandisk+clip+plus

Modestly priced, good sound quality, various colours/capacities and the memory is expandable with micro-sd cards.

I have one of those for my commute to work (don't need to listen to annoying people's phone calls at 8 am) and it's good for that.

Yeah I'd certainly get one of the recent versions, few months back I partially fried mine by wiring it up to a faulty solar charger, but I now rarely use public transport to justify one.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on November 05, 2013, 03:57:19 PM
Actually I don't know what they are called anymore.  Doctor says I really should get some exercise and start taking walks everyday.  I figured it would be more bearable if listened to some music while I did it.  Instead of digging out my old Walkman and finding out that nobody sells cassettes anymore I thought I'd buy one of those computer ones.  Like the Ipod or whatever else is on the market.  Looking for something fairly inexpensive that I get music on without much hassle and can carry around easily.
buy the iPod if you like overpriced and über small devices.  If you want something you can handle with a man's hand, look for some Android device.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: viper37 on November 18, 2013, 12:57:30 PM
buy the iPod if you like overpriced and über small devices.  If you want something you can handle with a man's hand, look for some Android device.

I, too, think immediately of the various gigantic Android devices when I read that someone is looking for something to easily carry around while exercising.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2013, 01:00:34 PM
:huh:

Do men lack dexterity?

If I try to use anything smaller than my Optimus G Pro (5.5" screen), my hands just lock up and become useless.  Because I'm manly, you see.

garbon

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2013, 01:00:34 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 18, 2013, 12:57:30 PM
If you want something you can handle with a man's hand
:huh:

Do men lack dexterity?
They usually have bigger hands than children.  an iPod is a pricey children's toy, nothing more.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 18, 2013, 01:52:08 PM
I, too, think immediately of the various gigantic Android devices when I read that someone is looking for something to easily carry around while exercising.
I tried again this week-end, and I just couldn't work with one of those things.  I maintain that it's perfect for little girls.  Even if you're training, there are better solutions.

garbon

So perhaps, v, the common element is you. I think you could vouch that I'm not a little girl and I've no issue using my nano. :P

Maladict

http://www.cowonglobal.com/
My 5 y.o. iAudio7 still gets me ~50 hrs battery life.
Better sound quality than iPods too (back then, at least. don't know (or care) about the new ones).