DNA Sequencing Megathread! Neanderthals, Denisovans and other ancient DNA!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2013, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Found another ancestor that was knighted by Elizabeth I.  Apparently he was also good friends with Hugh O'Neil.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Awesome!

Wait he was friends with somebody who betrayed God's appointed Queen of Ireland? TRAITOR!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2017, 04:46:46 PM
Awesome!

Wait he was friends with somebody who betrayed God's appointed Queen of Ireland? TRAITOR!

Yeah, his rivals went after him for that but nothing stuck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garret_Moore,_1st_Viscount_Moore
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

So the we're related app sent me  notification today of possible cousin....Margaret Atwood :lol:

I mean it's like 8th cousins and all.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grinning_Colossus

Cool. IIRC, Malthus's aunt is Ursula Le Guin or something. We're all related to sci fi writers. :)
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on December 22, 2017, 04:10:05 PM
Cool. IIRC, Malthus's aunt is Ursula Le Guin or something. We're all related to sci fi writers. :)

Margaret Atwood is Malthus' aunt.  Malthus and El Frijole Grande are kin.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 22, 2017, 04:15:35 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on December 22, 2017, 04:10:05 PM

Margaret Atwood is Malthus' aunt.  Malthus and El Frijole Grande are kin.

I assumed it was a joke. Calling Atwood a science fiction writer would be skipping a lot (most?) of her body of work.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on December 22, 2017, 04:20:11 PM
I assumed it was a joke. Calling Atwood a science fiction writer would be skipping a lot (most?) of her body of work.

Could be.  Alternatively, you might be so used to throwing shade yourself that you assume everyone else is too.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Upward of 1,024 people are ancestors of mine, who cool is that for them.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on December 22, 2017, 04:55:54 PM
Upward of 1,024 people are ancestors of mine, who cool is that for them.   :cool:

I find it rather disturbing that if I calculate my mathematical number of ancestors in the year 1400 it is well over twice the estimated population of the world at the time. Which means I am: extremely inbred.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on December 22, 2017, 05:29:04 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 22, 2017, 04:55:54 PM

I find it rather disturbing that if I calculate my mathematical number of ancestors in the year 1400 it is well over twice the estimated population of the world at the time. Which means humanity is: extremely inbred.

Makes our artificial divisions all the more stupid; think less national achievements, more like weird family resentments.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

The family resentments angle actually makes are artificial divisions all the more explainable IMO.

The Minsky Moment

It's the old joke.  A Jewish sailor is shipwrecked on a desert island a Jewish Robinson Crusoe.  Many years later he is found by a passing ship.  His rescuers notice that the sailor constructed three separate buildings, and inquire why. 

"That's my house, where I live" he says, pointed to the first one.
"What's the one next to that?" the rescuers ask. 
"That's the synaogue where I go to pray to God." 
"And the third?" 
"That's the synagogue I don't go to."
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson