DNA Sequencing Megathread! Neanderthals, Denisovans and other ancient DNA!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2013, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Had my DNA tested by 23andme and got the results back over the weekend.

I belong to the R0 maternal haplogroup, which is common in the middle east but apparently very rare in Europe.  Am I: crypto Muslim.

Also, 23andme thinks I am more British than German.  WRONG!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

A friend of mine found out she had zero Native American ancestry and she's devastated.  She used to go around telling people how spiritual she was because of her "Indian blood". 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on February 12, 2018, 01:01:52 PM
A friend of mine found out she had zero Native American ancestry and she's devastated.  She used to go around telling people how spiritual she was because of her "Indian blood".
:lol:

How does she explain away the bit of African ancestry she found instead? :)

derspiess

Well, she's all aboard the Irish train now that she got a certain % Ireland/Scotland/Wales.  I gently informed her that since she's from Eastern Kentucky and has deep roots there, that is probably more Scottish/Scotch-Irish than anything but she's not having it.  She's making big plans for St. Patrick's Day.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on February 12, 2018, 01:50:21 PM
Well, she's all aboard the Irish train now that she got a certain % Ireland/Scotland/Wales.  I gently informed her that since she's from Eastern Kentucky and has deep roots there, that is probably more Scottish/Scotch-Irish than anything but she's not having it.  She's making big plans for St. Patrick's Day.

Who said you can't be Scotch-Irish and have big plans on March 17? :shifty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Caliga

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on February 12, 2018, 01:57:31 PM
Scots-Irish  :sleep:

I used to say that, but since hardly anyone else ever does I decided to go with the flow.

Grinning_Colossus

Scots-Irish = barbarian border reivers and cattle rustlers.
Irish-Irish = peaceful pious mud farmers.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Admiral Yi

I've always used Scotch Irish and I'm not changing now.

Scotch is the adjectival form.  It's modifying Irish.

katmai

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai