DNA Sequencing Megathread! Neanderthals, Denisovans and other ancient DNA!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2013, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on August 27, 2017, 05:51:04 PM
A migration is confirmed. It may not have taken the form of blond beasts on horseback sacking Harappa to the tune of Wagner.  :P

I don't think horses were big enough back then for cavalry. Chariots were more likely.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Neat!  :)

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles/55337/20161222/inuit-people-living-arctic-adapted-cold-thanks-tbx15-wars2-genes.htm

QuoteScientists carried out a thorough genomic analysis of the Inuit people living in Greenland and discovered two active genes, namely, TBX15 and WARS2, which help them adapt to extreme cold conditions. These genes are responsible for generating body heat by burning fat so that the Inuit people can survive in extreme cold conditions.

Further investigations made by a different team of scientists under Fernando Racimo studied the natural selection of the Inuit people, in order to trace back the origin of these genetic adaptations. They compared the genomic data of 200 Greenlandic Inuit people with the ancient hominid DNA obtained from fossilized Neanderthals and Denisovans. The study revealed that the TBX15 and WARS2 genes were transferred to modern Inuit people from the archaic hominid population. The study was published in the Molecular Biology and Evolution journal.

Fernando Racimo, the lead investigator of the project, said, "The Inuit DNA sequence in this region matches very well with the Denisovan genome, and it is highly differentiated from other present-day human sequences, though we can't discard the possibility that the variant was introduced from another archaic group whose genomes we haven't sampled yet," Phys.org reported.

It was also found that the gene was present in high frequency in the Inuit people and in the Native Americans but is almost absent in the African population. The study also revealed that there were remarkable differences in the methylation patterns of the TBX15 and WARS2 gene region among the Denisovan genome, the Neanderthals and the modern day human beings.

"All this suggests that the introduced variant may have altered the regulation of these genes, thought the exact mechanism by which this occurred remains elusive," Racimo said.

On the basis of these results, the scientists speculated that the presence of this archaic gene variant may have been responsible for the survival of modern men during their expansion to Siberia, Beringia and later into the Americas.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Eddie Teach

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 28, 2017, 10:49:22 AM
Best dogs are mongrels, same as always.

Nah they are basically the same thing. The only real difference is that 'pure breeds' are easier to predict in their behaviors.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2017, 04:53:28 PM

Nah they are basically the same thing. The only real difference is that 'pure breeds' are easier to predict in their behaviors.

Even then you have to be careful with the breeder. Most these days breed for looks rather then temperament.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grinning_Colossus

The little mongrel village dogs that you see all over the crappier parts of Eurasia and probably make up a majority of the world's dog population are pretty mellow and timid from thousands of years of having rocks thrown at them.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

jimmy olsen

If I was rich, I'd have a new designer breed made for me. Try and replicate the morphology of the early Pleistocene dogs. Start off by crossing Central Asian Shepherds with Alaskan Malmalutes and go from there.

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 28, 2017, 05:38:26 PM

If I was rich, I'd have a new designer breed made for me. Try and replicate the morphology of the early Pleistocene dogs. Start off by crossing Central Asian Shepherds with Alaskan Malmalutes and go from there.

ikr

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on August 28, 2017, 05:47:00 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 28, 2017, 05:38:26 PM

ikr
Honestly, I don't think we're coming at it from the same angle.  :hmm:

1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on August 28, 2017, 05:19:31 PM
The little mongrel village dogs that you see all over the crappier parts of Eurasia and probably make up a majority of the world's dog population are pretty mellow and timid from thousands of years of having rocks thrown at them.

Those dogs must live a long time (unless hit by the rocks thrown at them for thousands of years, I'm guessing)!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!