Obama 'gutting military' by purging generals

Started by Siege, October 31, 2013, 12:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on January 14, 2014, 02:03:28 PM
Exactly.  The line is still funny, but it comes from Gates being tone deaf, not from him "spinning the meeting in a different direction for political purposes" (whatever that means).  I am not surprised that some tribal members can't see this because they are desperate to accuse Gates of political motivations (for their own partisan reasons), but I should have thought that you, Sheilbh, would see the difference between being tone-deaf and "spinning... for political purposes."
I don't think he's spinning for political purposes, I've not said that. I think it's a bit lacking in self-awareness which is why it's funny. It's Captain Reynaud :lol:

Also I think Obama's line is more about people spinning it into a more momentous meeting than it was for the purpose of selling memoirs, not political spin.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

some tribal members can't see this because they are desperate to accuse Gates of political motivations (for their own partisan reasons

If your argument requires that statement to be true, you may wish to reconsider making the argument.

derspiess

But it is true.  A lot of folks here immediately circle the wagons around Obama the minute something unfavorable is said about him.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 14, 2014, 02:14:14 PM
I don't think he's spinning for political purposes, I've not said that. I think it's a bit lacking in self-awareness which is why it's funny. It's Captain Reynaud :lol:

Also I think Obama's line is more about people spinning it into a more momentous meeting than it was for the purpose of selling memoirs, not political spin.

Exactly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 14, 2014, 02:14:34 PM
some tribal members can't see this because they are desperate to accuse Gates of political motivations (for their own partisan reasons

If your argument requires that statement to be true, you may wish to reconsider making the argument.

If the shoe fits, wear it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 14, 2014, 02:18:46 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 14, 2014, 02:14:14 PM

Exactly.

:lmfao:

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on January 14, 2014, 02:16:56 PM
But it is true.  A lot of folks here immediately circle the wagons around Obama the minute something unfavorable is said about him.

Like Sheilbh?  :huh:

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 14, 2014, 02:14:14 PMI don't think he's spinning for political purposes, I've not said that. I think it's a bit lacking in self-awareness which is why it's funny. It's Captain Reynaud :lol:

Pretty much, yeah.

And thinking that is basically the same as character assassinating Gates. Anyone objective can tell you that.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on January 14, 2014, 03:08:46 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 14, 2014, 02:14:14 PMI don't think he's spinning for political purposes, I've not said that. I think it's a bit lacking in self-awareness which is why it's funny. It's Captain Reynaud :lol:

Pretty much, yeah.

And thinking that is basically the same as character assassinating Gates. Anyone objective can tell you that.

Anyone objective could tell you that "the purpose of selling memoirs, not political spin" is pretty much the opposite of "spinning the meeting in a different direction for political purposes." 

Now that you have abandoned both contentions to which I had taken exception, I am going to predict you will pretend that you didn't make either contention to begin with.  :lol:

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on January 14, 2014, 03:06:57 PM

Why not?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on January 14, 2014, 03:18:41 PM
Now that you have abandoned both contentions to which I had taken exception, I am going to predict you will pretend that you didn't make either contention to begin with.  :lol:

:lol:

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on January 14, 2014, 03:19:44 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 14, 2014, 03:06:57 PM

Why not?

Why not indeed. Sheilbh is a notorious Obama partisan in these parts.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

PDH

I agree with Grumbler too - Leonidas was a cockbite.  Grumbler deserved that promotion.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on January 14, 2014, 04:39:00 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 14, 2014, 03:18:41 PM

:lol:
:mad: