Obama 'gutting military' by purging generals

Started by Siege, October 31, 2013, 12:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 13, 2014, 02:34:07 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 02:04:37 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 13, 2014, 12:37:08 PM
:huh:  When Obama declares something "for the record," I don't see how Gates is "spinning things" by mentioning it in his record.

The irony lies in the fact that Gates is publishing this while the President he served is still in office giving credence to the President's belief that he needed to be careful and undermining Gates' self report that he felt slighted.

You may see irony in that, but irony is more than just the opposite of wrinkly. 

If you look beyond the meeting itself you might see a wide world full of meaning and possibilities greater than your laundry.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 02:37:19 PMIf you look beyond the meeting itself you might see a wide world full of meaning and possibilities greater than your laundry.

How likely is that to happen?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on January 13, 2014, 02:38:38 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 02:37:19 PMIf you look beyond the meeting itself you might see a wide world full of meaning and possibilities greater than your laundry.

If he paid somone to do his laundry then perhaps he would fixate on it less?

Razgovory

Grumbler is the only one who makes the "Irony - Wrinkly" connection.  He probably commanded a laundry ship and it warped his mind.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Capetan Mihali

Big wheel keep on turnin'
Proud grumbler keep on burnin'
Trollin', trollin', trollin' on the river.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2014, 02:37:19 PM
If you look beyond the meeting itself you might see a wide world full of meaning and possibilities greater than your laundry.

If you really understood irony, you'd not think it limited to laundry.  Once we get beyond the meeting, there is no "there" there - which has been my point all along.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

sbr

@mihali How long have you had that in your hip pocket, waiting to use it?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on January 13, 2014, 02:38:38 PM

Given that what you are complaining about is a single sentence cherry-picked from gate's memoirs (and which you call, without any substantiation, the "best quote from Gates' kiss-and-tell-book"), it isn't likely that anyone can look beyond that single sentence.  The book hasn't even been published yet.  Yet you can still pick out its best sentence?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on January 13, 2014, 06:43:22 PM
Given that what you are complaining about is a single sentence cherry-picked from gate's memoirs (and which you call, without any substantiation, the "best quote from Gates' kiss-and-tell-book"), it isn't likely that anyone can look beyond that single sentence.  The book hasn't even been published yet.  Yet you can still pick out its best sentence?

I concede that there may be better sentences to come. For your peace of mind, please redact my post to read "best sentence so far" where it says "best sentence" :)

Not complaining, by the way, laughing. Like this :lmfao:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on January 13, 2014, 12:18:50 PM
Seems to me that in Gates' quote, Obama isn't speaking to national security either. He is - jokingly it seems - making sure that the meeting won't be spun in a counter factual direction down the road in someone's memoirs, presumably for political purposes... and here Gates is, spinning the meeting in a different direction for political purposes in his memoirs, while acting offended at the implication that he might spin the meeting for political purposes in his memoirs.

In Gates' quote he's talking about deliberations regarding Iran and Israel.  Iran obviously is intimately connected to national security concerns.

Siege

Why do Americans drink coffee instead of tea?
I mean, culturally.
Was coffee cheaper than tea back in the day?
Or more readily available? (which is the same thing, for you Eurocommies that know nothing of economy and think "basic income" can work)

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jacob

Are they throwing out their old crt monitors?