Air France airliner with 228 aboard disappears over the Atlantic

Started by Caliga, June 01, 2009, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Cal's theory of multiple independently placed bombs by AQ, PETA and WHO is way out there in crazy territory IMHO.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Neil on June 04, 2009, 07:33:15 AM
On the other hand, it's rare for them to bring down a jetliner without saying anything.

Maybe they're ok with people thinking it was an accident.  And then another plane will disappear next month, and the next.

Caliga

I don't buy this stall theory.  I think it's unlikely that, with three pilots aboard (and one presumes at least two on duty at the time), that they wouldn't have said something to ATC, even if it was "hey, we're going down".
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

What was their cruising altitude? Takes a long while to fall 30,000 feet.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on June 04, 2009, 07:40:46 AM
What was their cruising altitude? Takes a long while to fall 30,000 feet.
Yes, which is part of the reason I made my comment re: stall.  I would guess they were at like 39,000 feet or so.

grumbler

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 04, 2009, 07:28:48 AM
Terrorists set off bombs every single day that kill people without making a statement to anyone.
Examples?  And how do you know the attacks are made by terrorists if no one claims responsibility for them?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on June 04, 2009, 07:30:13 AM
I think it's a mistake to presuppose rational thinking when trying to dissect what terrorists do and why they do it.
Disagree.  They are wacko but not always irrational.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 04, 2009, 07:38:06 AM
On the other hand, it's rare for them to bring down a jetliner without saying anything.

Maybe they're ok with people thinking it was an accident.  And then another plane will disappear next month, and the next.
Their goal isn't to kill people.  It's to cause terror.  Accidents don't cause terror.  Bombs do.

If their goal was just to kill people, they'd just go nuts in a shopping mall with an AK-47, and it would be a lot more cost-effective than putting a bomb on a plane.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on June 04, 2009, 07:42:53 AM
I actually don't think we're in disagreement.  I just meant one should not assume that their behavior is *always* rational as I took GF's post to mean.

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on June 04, 2009, 08:10:16 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 04, 2009, 07:42:53 AM
I actually don't think we're in disagreement.  I just meant one should not assume that their behavior is *always* rational as I took GF's post to mean.
You are correct.  I misread the post, but your meaning is clear and I just missed it.

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on June 04, 2009, 07:47:38 AM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 04, 2009, 07:38:06 AM

Their goal isn't to kill people.  It's to cause terror.  Accidents don't cause terror.  Bombs do.

If their goal was just to kill people, they'd just go nuts in a shopping mall with an AK-47, and it would be a lot more cost-effective than putting a bomb on a plane.
That would totally terrorize America. Just look what a few guys with AK-47s did in Bombay.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 04, 2009, 09:25:48 AM
That would totally terrorize America. Just look what a few guys with AK-47s did in Bombay.
Violence in general (even random violence) doesn't "totally terrorize America."  A few guys in Bombay with AK-47s didn't terrorize America, either.

It is purposeful violence that is indifferent to the identity of the victim that terrorizes.  The DC sniper was a lot scarier to people than M-13, even though the two probably killed the same number of people in that time period.

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on June 04, 2009, 09:40:26 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 04, 2009, 09:25:48 AM
Violence in general (even random violence) doesn't "totally terrorize America."  A few guys in Bombay with AK-47s didn't terrorize America, either.

They terrorized India though, which was what I meant and you know it.

If 10 terrorists ran around a major American City and killed nearly 200 civilians then America would be terrorized.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA