News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should there be only one expert at trials?

Started by viper37, October 30, 2013, 12:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 30, 2013, 01:34:27 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 30, 2013, 01:33:31 PM
Apparently the people bringing multiple experts disagree with you.

The people that write the Rules of Court agree with me.  And that is really all that counts.

OK, BB.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on October 30, 2013, 01:34:53 PM

The people that write the Rules of Court agree with me.  And that is really all that counts.

OK, BB.

You have been spending too much time in your bathroom thinking about rabbits - you seem to be going blind.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 30, 2013, 01:37:02 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 30, 2013, 01:34:53 PM

OK, BB.

You have been spending too much time in your bathroom thinking about rabbits - you seem to be going blind.

I'm 93, you're 16. :(

Barrister

You know the issue of "competing experts" is pretty rare in the crim side.

The science on most topics is pretty well settled.  a DNA hit, or a fingerprint match, is what it is.  You won't get an expert who disagrees with the basic science or result.  The fight instead is over what are the facts that form the basis for the opinion, and what conclusions can be drawn from the expert's opinion.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Expert evidence is indeed a significant concern. The Canadian Federal Court, which often deals with expert witness-heavy issues like IP, has recently amended its rules in a number of ways that address some of these.

http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2009/2009-10-17/html/reg1-eng.html
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on October 30, 2013, 01:10:25 PM
What is the problem with having several experts? If they say the same thing then great, and if they don't it made sense not to have just one.
No expert will go on stand if they don't say what the lawyer hiring him wants him to say.
That's the problem.

You can have a case of a man claiming he was temporarily insane and an expert saying it's total bullshit.
In another case, the same expert comes and says temporary insanity is quite plausible.

So you got jury who have 2 different expert opinions, don't know wich one is better.  They're left at the mercy of the most convincing lawyer, disregarding the truth.  And inevitably, this will go onto appeal, costing even more money to the state, they'll say the judge gave too much weight to the other party's expert, not enough for their own, or that the jury was too dumb to understand their expert.

The idea is to streamline the costs, and the time it takes for a trial to take place.  If both sides agrees to one neutral expert wich neither of them chose, things would be easier.  Then he proceeds with the evaluation of the case, and we're done with the experts.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2013, 02:19:39 PM
You know the issue of "competing experts" is pretty rare in the crim side.

The science on most topics is pretty well settled.  a DNA hit, or a fingerprint match, is what it is.  You won't get an expert who disagrees with the basic science or result.  The fight instead is over what are the facts that form the basis for the opinion, and what conclusions can be drawn from the expert's opinion.

In recent trials, as an observer I saw:
- ballistic experts saying the opposite
- psychiatrists, I get the feeling none of them agree with each other diagnostics and they contradict themselves everytime
- biochemists proving the defendant wasn't drunk when he had 24 beers (though I think that hole has been plugged).
- engineers with contradicting reports.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Psychiatrists are basically lunatics who have spent a great deal of time and money to get a back stage pass to the asylum.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on October 30, 2013, 02:48:09 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 30, 2013, 01:10:25 PM
What is the problem with having several experts? If they say the same thing then great, and if they don't it made sense not to have just one.
No expert will go on stand if they don't say what the lawyer hiring him wants him to say.
That's the problem.

You can have a case of a man claiming he was temporarily insane and an expert saying it's total bullshit.
In another case, the same expert comes and says temporary insanity is quite plausible.

So you got jury who have 2 different expert opinions, don't know wich one is better.  They're left at the mercy of the most convincing lawyer, disregarding the truth.  And inevitably, this will go onto appeal, costing even more money to the state, they'll say the judge gave too much weight to the other party's expert, not enough for their own, or that the jury was too dumb to understand their expert.

The idea is to streamline the costs, and the time it takes for a trial to take place.  If both sides agrees to one neutral expert wich neither of them chose, things would be easier.  Then he proceeds with the evaluation of the case, and we're done with the experts.

Two different experts giving contradictory statements indicate to me that maybe there is some doubt about the actual truth. And I am skeptical about how you will catch a single neutral expert who makes a crap statement.

Scipio

Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2013, 01:25:49 PM
Is Viper a lawyer?  I thought Expert witnesses often dealt with things like fingerprints and DNA.
In Murica, any situation that requires an evaluation based upon special knowledge demands expert testimony. There are very complicated rules for experts, and two competing and complementary standards for evaluating their testimony.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Viking

in "civilized" countries the court appoints the expert.. though in the Breivik case that just resulted in outrage and political involvement after the first expert concluded he was mad as a hatter and not criminally responsible, at which point they got a new expert who said he was sane.

This all had people confused since we really wanted him both to be nuts and get punished.... so.. whatever system you do use, don't use the norwegian one.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

For once, Raz is actually on the right track.

Psychiatry is little better than witch doctors.  There are no concrete biological factors you can point to to show someone has a mental disorder.  It's all trying to make sense of the tea leaves.

Almost every other area however is much more concrete, and thus experts disagree a lot less often.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.