The Sriracha Factory Could Get Shut Down. Panic?

Started by garbon, October 30, 2013, 09:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on October 30, 2013, 01:47:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2013, 01:39:11 PM
It is a for the "heat seeking foodie", sounds like a hipster to me.

English?

It's for the "heat seeking foodie", sounds like a hipster to me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/us-spicy-smell-row-threatens-famous-sauce-supply-025733811.html

QuoteA judge refused Thursday to order the closure of a US factory which makes famed Sriracha chili sauces, after neighbors complained of spicy smells.

The California city of Irwindale, outside Los Angeles, had asked for Huy Fong Food's facility to be closed and that the company be forced to improve odor-filtering measures.

But Los Angeles Superior Court judge Robert O'Brien said there was not enough evidence to justify immediate closure of the factory, owned by America's biggest supplier of sauces popular internationally, notably in Asia.

"You're asking for a very radical order on 24-hour notice," the judge told lawyer June Ailin, representing Irwindale.

The legal action had threatened next year's supplies of Chili Garlic, Sambal Oelek, and the wildly popular Sriracha "rooster" sauce, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The chilis for next year's sauce supplies are all processed in a three-month time period that is just at its peak, after the peppers were harvested and ground within a single day to maintain their fresh taste, the Times said.

Neighbors also complained about burning eyes and throats from the factory.

"The odors are so strong and offensive as to have caused residents to move outdoor activities indoors and even to vacate their residences temporarily to seek relief from the odors," said the city's lawsuit, filed on Monday.

But company owner David Tran said air filters already prevent odors escaping as much as is physically possible -- and he also alleged that some of the complainants do not actually live next to the facility, but further away.

"To filter 100 percent, I haven't found any engineer (who) can do it," the Vietnam-born businessman told local radio station KPCC before Thursday's ruling, adding that the best that can be achieved is stopping 90 percent of smells from escaping.

"The neighbor complained to us. We thought that, no, the punch of the chili won't (reach) 1,500 feet away. I don't buy it," he added.

Sriracha sauce, of which Huy Fong Foods is the biggest producer in the United States, takes its name from the town of Si Racha in Thailand, where the hot sauce was first produced.

Phew!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Scipio

Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2013, 01:39:11 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on October 30, 2013, 01:22:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2013, 01:22:01 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 30, 2013, 12:47:29 PM
Who? What? Never heard of it.

That's cause you aren't a hipster.

Only hipsters go to Chinese restaurants?

I haven't seen it in a Chinese restaurant.  It is a for the "heat seeking foodie", sounds like a hipster to me.
That's because they use it in the fucking kitchen, you moke.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Eddie Teach

I think pretentious upper and upper middle class, not hipster when I see the word "foodie".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 31, 2013, 07:47:29 PM
I think pretentious upper and upper middle class, not hipster when I see the word "foodie".

There seems to be a lot of overlap.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 31, 2013, 08:41:24 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 31, 2013, 07:47:29 PM

There seems to be a lot of overlap.

That's true.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DontSayBanana

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 30, 2013, 01:27:49 PM
Ah, so its a chinese food hot sauce? Thank you.

When I go to a chinese restaurant and want to eat a spicy hot dish, I order a spicy hot dish. I have never added hot sauce, to my chinese food.

More commonly known in this area by people who won't even attempt to pronounce Sriracha as "rooster hot sauce."  Big plastic bottle of red sauce, green cap, white rooster on the label.  Also popular in soul food places around here, for some reason (I'd expect to see more Tabasco when we're going the stereotypical route).
Experience bij!

Habbaku

"Hipsters" have a reason to freak out again :

http://reason.com/24-7/2013/12/12/california-regulators-halt-shipping-of-s

QuoteSriracha hot sauce manufacturer Huy Fong Foods cannot ship out any more sauce until mid-January because the California Department of Public Health has begun enforcing stricter guidelines for the company.

Their three sauces, Sriracha, Chili Garlic and Sambal Oelek, now must be held for at least 30 days before they can be shipped to food distributors and wholesalers, the company confirmed Wednesday. It's not clear whether the hold is a new requirement. The Department of Public Health did not respond to requests for comment on Tuesday or Wednesday.

The production delay comes amid a heated legal battle with the city of Irwindale, which sued the hot sauce manufacturer over spicy odors that residents say caused a raft of health issues.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Yes! The disparition of that evil sauce must be top priority for America.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 01, 2013, 02:39:37 AM
Also popular in soul food places around here, for some reason (I'd expect to see more Tabasco when we're going the stereotypical route).

I believe it spilled over from Chinese take-out.  All women of color who work downtown here must get some spicy Chinese takeout for lunch at least twice a week.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

This thread makes me want to get a Sriracha Chicken Melt from Subway. :blush:
Experience bij!

garbon