The Sriracha Factory Could Get Shut Down. Panic?

Started by garbon, October 30, 2013, 09:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

:o :o

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartnews/2013/10/the-sriracha-factory-could-get-shut-down-panic/

QuoteIn Irwindale, California, nose-y neighbors, sick of the supposedly strong chili smell emanating from the factory where Sriracha hot sauce is made, want the Huy Fong Foods factory shut down unless the odor can be abated. The city has filed a public nuisance lawsuit, says the Associated Press, "seeking temporary closure of the factory until Huy Fong submits a plan to minimize the smell." CBS:

Quote"The odors are so strong and offensive as to have caused residents to move outdoor activities indoors and even to vacate their residences temporarily to seek relief from the odors," according to the suit.

Living next to a food processing plant is always a scented existence, and Huy Fong Foods has denied there's a problem. But if the injunction goes through, it could spell bad news for hot sauce lovers everywhere.

The factory in Irwindale where Sriracha is now made opened within the last year. At 650,000 square feet, says Quartz, the company can pump out up to 7,500 bottles of hot sauce each hour. Huy Fong Foods was started 33 years ago by Vietnamese refugee David Tran, and the company, says Quartz, has never raised its wholesale prices. If the Sriracha factory is shuttered, supply and demand may do what Tran never did. Canada might have a strategic maple syrup reserve, but if Sriracha goes out of production, there's no emergency warehouse waiting to be tapped.

If the price of Sriracha skyrockets, where will the heat-seeking foodie turn? For the New Yorker, Lauren Collins details how chili sauces have grown into a massive industry.

QuoteChilis have become an attractive business. According to a report by IBISWorld, a market-research firm, hot-sauce production is one of America's ten fastest-growing industries, along with solar-panel manufacturing and online eyeglass sales.

Unfortunately, it seems, based on Collins' account, the so-called "chiliheads" driving the hot sauce boom have been in a bid to best each other on one metric alone, Scoville units, a measure of hotness. With manufacturers racing to abandon taste for sheer burn, we can only hope the city of Irwindale and Huy Fong Foods can work out their differences before our bottle is empty.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quoteresidents to move outdoor activities indoors

:apocalypse:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

I go through a bottle every 3 or so months.  A couple bottles to add to what I have in the pantry & I'll be set for a while.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Sorry, forgot it's Raz making that comment.  Anyone that ventures outdoors is a hipster to him.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

lustindarkness

Ah, so its a chinese food hot sauce? Thank you.

When I go to a chinese restaurant and want to eat a spicy hot dish, I order a spicy hot dish. I have never added hot sauce, to my chinese food.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Habbaku

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 30, 2013, 01:27:49 PM

When I go to a chinese restaurant and want to eat a spicy hot dish, I order a spicy hot dish. I have never added hot sauce, to my chinese food.

Something like that.  I typically add it to things like pho at Vietnamese restaurants or use it for stir-fry at home along with some teriyaki sauce.  It adds a kick to food that normally doesn't have any.  It is best when blended with other sauces.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on October 30, 2013, 01:22:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2013, 01:22:01 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 30, 2013, 12:47:29 PM
Who? What? Never heard of it.

That's cause you aren't a hipster.

Only hipsters go to Chinese restaurants?

I haven't seen it in a Chinese restaurant.  It is a for the "heat seeking foodie", sounds like a hipster to me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on October 30, 2013, 01:31:32 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 30, 2013, 01:27:49 PM

Something like that.  I typically add it to things like pho at Vietnamese restaurants or use it for stir-fry at home along with some teriyaki sauce.  It adds a kick to food that normally doesn't have any.  It is best when blended with other sauces.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2013, 01:39:11 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on October 30, 2013, 01:22:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2013, 01:22:01 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 30, 2013, 12:47:29 PM
Who? What? Never heard of it.

That's cause you aren't a hipster.

Only hipsters go to Chinese restaurants?

I haven't seen it in a Chinese restaurant.  It is a for the "heat seeking foodie", sounds like a hipster to me.

That's what the blog said about it.

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

lustindarkness

I have shot out heat seeking missiles the day after some spicy food, is that similar to "heat seeking foodie"?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom