Would you have trusted your parents to make an arranged marriage for you?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 30, 2013, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you have trusted your parents to make an arranged marriage for you?

Yes, with regards to both personal compatibility and wealth/familial alliances.
11 (25%)
Only in regards to wealth/familial alliances.
7 (15.9%)
Only in regards to personal compatibility.
0 (0%)
Not at all
24 (54.5%)
My parents actually aranged my marriage! (Tell us how it went!)
2 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 30, 2013, 03:09:02 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 30, 2013, 01:04:10 PM
Given divorce rates in Western countries where most people make their own choice and marry for love it seems that if live long marriage is the measure of success then arranged marriages have merit.
what would be the consequences of divorcing from a family arranged marriage?  Can both parties freely divorce?

I think we need to understand a few more things about social pressure before concluding they are better off.  If divorcing means your family will turn their back on you, the same way they probably would if you change religion, than I really don't think it's such a wise idea.

I dont know if they feel free to divorce or not.  I am not sure the extent to which anyone feels "free" to divorce.

I do know that my friends who had arranged marriages seem as content my other friends who remained married and I would say much more content then my friends who are on second, third etc marriages.

Brazen

My mum was right about every man/boy I went out with/lived with/married. I'm sure she could have done better for me than I did.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Brazen on October 31, 2013, 10:41:25 AM
My mum was right about every man/boy I went out with/lived with/married. I'm sure she could have done better for me than I did.

Did she dislike them all?

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 31, 2013, 10:00:21 AM
I dont know if they feel free to divorce or not.  I am not sure the extent to which anyone feels "free" to divorce.
Well, in the not so distand past in Quebec, a divorce mostly meant your family would stop speaking to you, you couldn't attend church anymore and most of your friends would avoid you.

Not many divorce.  You weren't happy, you weren't happy, that's all.  Mothers would tell their daughter happiness had nothing to do with marriage, it was about procreation.   Nowadays...  Things have changed, for the better I think.  People don't feel the need to marry to have kids.  If they're not happy together, they go their seperate ways.  If they're married, they divorce, that's the end of it.  No one is shunning divorcees.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Legbiter

Sure, mom sussed out that one chick I was seeing was crazy, and that the other was on her way to turning into a landwhale.

Marriage is a crapshoot for men in the West anyway. Lots of women go all Eat, Pray, Love twat on the husband. They're hardly husbands anymore, they're hostage negotiators.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

PDH

Quote from: Legbiter on October 31, 2013, 05:34:21 PM
Marriage is a crapshoot for men in the West anyway. Lots of women go all Eat, Pray, Love twat on the husband. They're hardly husbands anymore, they're hostage negotiators.

:rolleyes:  It's because they're women
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Legbiter

Quote from: PDH on October 31, 2013, 05:39:46 PM

That's a bit harsh PDH. Women can be very feminine, sweet and pleasant to be around with. They're not all some infernal combination of landwhales, crazy, bitchy, entitled, crass & clueless.  :homestar:

Go to Quebec, for instance. Women there have even been known to smile at a man in genuine affection.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

jimmy olsen

Parents have made quite the comeback. They had zero votes at the 10 vote point.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Surely those two people claiming to actually be in arranged marriages are trolling.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Legbiter on October 31, 2013, 05:50:01 PM
Quote from: PDH on October 31, 2013, 05:39:46 PM

That's a bit harsh PDH. Women can be very feminine, sweet and pleasant to be around with. They're not all some infernal combination of landwhales, crazy, bitchy, entitled, crass & clueless.  :homestar:

Go to Quebec, for instance. Women there have even been known to smile at a man in genuine affection.
Lies. They're just thinking about his wallet.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2013, 07:45:43 PM
Surely those two people claiming to actually be in arranged marriages are trolling.
Don't we have people of Indian descent on this board?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point