Would you have trusted your parents to make an arranged marriage for you?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 30, 2013, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you have trusted your parents to make an arranged marriage for you?

Yes, with regards to both personal compatibility and wealth/familial alliances.
11 (25%)
Only in regards to wealth/familial alliances.
7 (15.9%)
Only in regards to personal compatibility.
0 (0%)
Not at all
24 (54.5%)
My parents actually aranged my marriage! (Tell us how it went!)
2 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2013, 11:01:45 AM
Quote from: Maximus on October 30, 2013, 10:52:47 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2013, 10:41:38 AM
Well I would need a good reason to defy norms.
Any reason is a good reason.

No, defying societal norms requires effort and sometimes sacrifice.  I would rather be using my efforts to do something more interesting and important.

I run around shouting every time I speak. Has not caused me any problems. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2013, 10:51:41 AM
I find the concept of a Quebecker lumberjill intriguing.

How big was she Veep?
not huge, just big, not terribly pretty, total lack of class, kept drinking&smoking&gambling.  But her father had a sawmill, wich would have served our interests.  He made a few attemps, than decided I wasn't a real man because I wasn't married at 30, so things ended there.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2013, 09:40:19 AM
Yeah I think my parents would have done a decent job.

Yeah.  I mean, if this sort of thing were done, while I don't think they'd have picked out the exact girl I married, I'm sure they would have picked out someone nice.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2013, 08:48:12 AM
My parents would have picked a wealthy and well-connected woman I would almost certainly have disliked. So option 2.

Apropos of nothing, I thought it was the funniest thing in the world when it was revealed that Malthus made like the present-day equivalent of $40,000 a year in his bohemian pottery studio.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2013, 11:01:45 AM
No, defying societal norms requires effort and sometimes sacrifice.  I would rather be using my efforts to do something more interesting and important.

The societal norms that you live in aren't constrictive. What if those "norms" required you to dress a certain way, act a certain way, learn only that which is approved, marry only someone who is just like you, and limited the careers that you could do?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on October 30, 2013, 12:46:35 PM
My parents would have picked a wealthy and well-connected woman I would almost certainly have disliked. So option 2.

Apropos of nothing, I thought it was the funniest thing in the world when it was revealed that Malthus made like the present-day equivalent of $40,000 a year in his bohemian pottery studio.

:unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

$10 an hour?  Hilarious.   :unsure:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

I surrender whatever point I was making.  I just woke up.  Apologies. -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

All the guys I know who had arranged marriages (within the Sihk community) are all still happily married (although admittedly the sample size is small).  Over half the guys I know who married for love are now divorced - some of them multiple times.

Given divorce rates in Western countries where most people make their own choice and marry for love it seems that if live long marriage is the measure of success then arranged marriages have merit.

Having said all that, there is no way in hell I would have trust my parent's judgment.

Admiral Yi

keep in mind Ide that back then the Loonie was worth a nickel in real money.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2013, 12:53:40 PM

I believe my parents' first jobs paid around $2.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Rich kid Malthus complains about getting well above the then minimum wage. :P

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 30, 2013, 01:15:17 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2013, 12:53:40 PM

I believe my parents' first jobs paid around $2.

I'm not Grumbler's age yet, you know.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017