Would you have trusted your parents to make an arranged marriage for you?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 30, 2013, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you have trusted your parents to make an arranged marriage for you?

Yes, with regards to both personal compatibility and wealth/familial alliances.
11 (25%)
Only in regards to wealth/familial alliances.
7 (15.9%)
Only in regards to personal compatibility.
0 (0%)
Not at all
24 (54.5%)
My parents actually aranged my marriage! (Tell us how it went!)
2 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Josquius

I don't even let my parents know about girls I'm seeing let alone arranging a marriage.
They're from a different planet to me. They don't understand how the world beyond my hometown works. I don't want to marry someone from around there so no way.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

I'd let Josq's parent arrange a marriage for me.  I might get a coal miner's daughter, and I've got a bit of a thing for 'em.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Hells no. 

Of all the people who've ever pimped me out, only my sister has ever done a decent job.

dps

I didn't trust my stepfather to have my best interests at heart on anything, and I don't trust my mom's judgment on almost anything, so no way.

merithyn

My parents would have picked someone that they liked rather than someone that I would like. Mostly because they had so little understanding of who I've become as a person, so they'd pick someone that they liked and hope that it was good enough for me.

So, in a word, no.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Grey Fox

My parents couldn't even pick a good match for themselves, so no I would not have trusted them.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

sbr

They couldn't have done much worse than I did. Also maybe they would have had the sense to not let me try to get back together with my ex.

garbon

I've been lobbying for my mother to play matchmaker.

edit: I understand the poll now...and I don't even know who I am personally compatible with so, I guess choice 2. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

My parents would have picked a wealthy and well-connected woman I would almost certainly have disliked. So option 2.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

Given that the question posits being raised in a society where that was the norm, of course.  It would be natural for me.  Of course, I wouldn't be me either since my I would come from generations of such marriages - at least on Mom's side that would be 5 generations different (Mom's great great grandfather took a steamship back to Scotland to negotiate for a fair lady to marry).
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 30, 2013, 01:12:27 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2013, 01:09:32 AM
Oh, hell no.  Mom would've picked someone just like Mom.  Fuck that noise.
Aren't you a big Momma's boy though? :yeahright:

Why would I be a "big Momma's boy"?

derspiess

My parents' friends & dad's business contacts always had some pretty hott daughters, so I think it probably would have turned out okay-- for me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

Quote from: PDH on October 30, 2013, 08:50:39 AM
Given that the question posits being raised in a society where that was the norm, of course.  It would be natural for me.
People can go against social norms.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on October 30, 2013, 09:30:34 AM
Quote from: PDH on October 30, 2013, 08:50:39 AM
Given that the question posits being raised in a society where that was the norm, of course.  It would be natural for me.
People can go against social norms.

unpossible
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.