News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Saudi pivots from US

Started by Sheilbh, October 23, 2013, 01:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2013, 06:08:17 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2013/10/23/the-u-s-saudi-crackup-hits-a-dramatic-tipping-point/

QuoteFor much of the past two years,  the closest thing the U.S. had to a back channel with Saudi Arabia was Tom Donilon, the national security adviser until last June. He traveled to the kingdom occasionally to pass private messages to Abdullah; those meetings didn't heal the wounds, but they at least staunched the bleeding. But Susan Rice, Donilon's successor, has not played a similar bridging role.

:lol:  No shit.

Yeah a woman, who's black and brighter than him isn't going to sit comfortably with an precious arab princeling.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 23, 2013, 04:03:19 PM
What do you think are the benefits?

The Saudis have inside connections with just about every significant Sunni governed state and society in the world.  And more than any other single player in the world they exert the most control over oil prices.  That control is very real still BTW - they could easily move that price by a lot if they really really wanted to do it.

That said, if we can get a good deal on Iran no way we say no because it will miff the Saudis.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 23, 2013, 06:25:52 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 23, 2013, 04:03:19 PM
What do you think are the benefits?

The Saudis have inside connections with just about every significant Sunni governed state and society in the world.  And more than any other single player in the world they exert the most control over oil prices.  That control is very real still BTW - they could easily move that price by a lot if they really really wanted to do it.

That said, if we can get a good deal on Iran no way we say no because it will miff the Saudis.

CdM will be ecstatic, F14 flying again.

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on October 23, 2013, 06:14:45 PM
Yeah a woman, who's black and brighter than him isn't going to sit comfortably with an precious arab princeling.

Yeah, brighter :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2013/10/23/the-u-s-saudi-crackup-hits-a-dramatic-tipping-point/

QuoteFor much of the past two years,  the closest thing the U.S. had to a back channel with Saudi Arabia was Tom Donilon, the national security adviser until last June. He traveled to the kingdom occasionally to pass private messages to Abdullah; those meetings didn't heal the wounds, but they at least staunched the bleeding. But Susan Rice, Donilon's successor, has not played a similar bridging role.

Aren't they basically the same color? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2013, 07:07:21 PM

Aren't they basically the same color? :hmm:

You tell me, though maybe you should also look into the treatment black Africans amongst other, receive there.

Better still why not visit to conduct some field research.  :P

garbon

People get fooled by appearance all the time. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2013, 03:39:48 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 23, 2013, 02:09:25 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2013, 02:08:20 PM
Don't worry, Obama's got this.  He just needs to bow to the Saudi king again & all will be fixed.
Why would you worry at all? I mean do you think the US and Saudi growing apart is a good or a bad thing?

Saudi Arabia is the type of "ally" that you may not like a whole lot, but still benefit from.  I'm not a Euro, so I'm not seething with hatred over Saudi Arabia.  They're not perfect, and I'd love for us to be in a position where we didn't need them.  But I don't think we're energy independent enough just yet to break all ties with them.
Why would a Euro seeth with hatred over Saudi Arabia? :unsure:

Americans I can understand, what with the Saudis exporting and supporting a virulent strain of religious fundamentalism that has gone on to kill thousands of us, both military and civilian.

Domus Saud delenda est!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

fhdz

Finally. Can we invade and take all their oil now?
and the horse you rode in on

Eddie Teach

Quote from: fhdz on October 23, 2013, 11:37:23 PM
Finally. Can we invade and take all their oil now?

Only if we really take their oil.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Nor is it worth attacking Syria if this deal carries on working out.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Exactly, which is why dumping tons of domestically-produced oil onto the market does jack shit.  Nobody has production control over their spigots and price impact on the market like the Saudis.

QuoteThat said, if we can get a good deal on Iran no way we say no because it will miff the Saudis.

I dunno, man, don't like that idea...how badly do we have to sell out Israel to get it?  It would never be worth it.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 24, 2013, 06:08:51 AM
I dunno, man, don't like that idea...how badly do we have to sell out Israel to get it?  It would never be worth it.
Israel would sell the US out given the slightest opportunity.  In fact, they're always selling secret tech to China.  Fuck 'em.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on October 24, 2013, 07:41:47 AM
Israel would sell the US out given the slightest opportunity.  In fact, they're always selling secret tech to China.  Fuck 'em.

Yeah, well that's just Jews being Jews.  We tolerate other nations' peculiarities.