News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is this real? Limbaugh attacks the military.

Started by Razgovory, October 22, 2013, 02:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Simple question Raz: would cutting military pay and benefits be a bad thing or a good thing?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 22, 2013, 05:52:10 PM
Simple question Raz: would cutting military pay and benefits be a bad thing or a good thing?
That's not a simple question :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 22, 2013, 05:52:10 PM

You are a clever one.  I think cutting pay is fine at times, but not benefits or pensions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

from the same site

Admin Error Sends Bradley Manning to Death Row, Nidal Hasan to Gender Reassignment Surgery

Read more: http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/08/admin-error-hasan-manning/#ixzz2iUkWNwiX

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 22, 2013, 05:58:24 PM
You are a clever one.  I think cutting pay is fine at times, but not benefits or pensions.

When is it fine?  OK in the morning, bad at night?  Or good when Democrats are in favor, bad when Republicans are in favor?

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2013, 03:58:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 22, 2013, 03:52:31 PM
Was it last week or the week before when Yi suggested that the military is paid to much?  I've always suspected that the radical budget hawks would turn their knives on military pay and benefits if they thought they could get away with it.  It's such a big piece of the pie.

There is definitely some room to criticize military spending, including pay and benefits.
Hmm, no, I don't think so.

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 22, 2013, 06:20:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 22, 2013, 05:58:24 PM

When is it fine?  OK in the morning, bad at night?  Or good when Democrats are in favor, bad when Republicans are in favor?

When you don't need so many soldiers!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 22, 2013, 06:16:55 PM
Holy crap, Beeb made a pun. :o
Beeb's relationship with puns is like Atticus Finch's relationship with rifles.  He normally refuses to use them to keep it fair for others, but makes an exception when he comes across a rabid dog.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on October 22, 2013, 06:22:05 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2013, 03:58:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 22, 2013, 03:52:31 PM
Was it last week or the week before when Yi suggested that the military is paid to much?  I've always suspected that the radical budget hawks would turn their knives on military pay and benefits if they thought they could get away with it.  It's such a big piece of the pie.

There is definitely some room to criticize military spending, including pay and benefits.
Hmm, no, I don't think so.

Caliga, your time spent dressed as a Centurion does not entitle you to either pay or benefits.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Alcibiades

Yeah its the military's equivalent of the Onion, pretty sure I commented on it, Raz.   :P

And I'm not sure about cutting pay and benefits.  Maybe the pension, which is pretty good and they are actually talking about cutting. But what else can they reasonably cut, healthcare, dental?   Soldier's sick or injured and can't do his job it can be pretty detrimental to the military and readiness.  $100 a year clothing allowance?  Maybe, but they require so much extra bullshit for you to purchase that really doesn't cover it when you take a look at how expensive uniforms and accessories are.

As for pay, you really don't make that much money in the military, especially the enlisted.  As a brand new private i was making something like $14,000 a year.   Now it's something like 18 before taxes.  An E-7 with 15-20 years is makes $36,000, which I'm actually surprised is so low to be honest.  Lot of knowledge and expertise at that level.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

merithyn

Quote from: Alcibiades on October 23, 2013, 11:07:13 AM

And I'm not sure about cutting pay and benefits.  Maybe the pension, which is pretty good and they are actually talking about cutting. But what else can they reasonably cut, healthcare, dental?   Soldier's sick or injured and can't do his job it can be pretty detrimental to the military and readiness.  $100 a year clothing allowance?  Maybe, but they require so much extra bullshit for you to purchase that really doesn't cover it when you take a look at how expensive uniforms and accessories are.

As for pay, you really don't make that much money in the military, especially the enlisted.  As a brand new private i was making something like $14,000 a year.   Now it's something like 18 before taxes.  An E-7 with 15-20 years is makes $36,000, which I'm actually surprised is so low to be honest.  Lot of knowledge and expertise at that level.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

Isn't it more the free housing, etc., that makes up for the low pay?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Alcibiades

Yeah, enlisted get housing in a dorm like setting or if they are married they get duplex like living quarters, depending the rank. 

If those are filled you can get money to live off post, which is around 900-1100 depending where you live.   

So yeah, that can bump it up a bit.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on October 23, 2013, 10:47:01 AM
Caliga, your time spent dressed as a Centurion does not entitle you to either pay or benefits.  :P
I used to dress up as an auxiliary ex-slave. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points